Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Moist Apple Cake

(14 Posts)
WetAugust Wed 03-Dec-14 16:45:48

I'm looking for a recipe for a mosit apple cake. I would like a cake rather than a spomge and one with the apples baked through the cake, rather than an apple base with cake on top.
Also would like to keep it plain, so no cinnamon, nutmeg, sultanas etc.

Just a nice mosit apple cake.

Can anyone please help?
Thanks

minipie Wed 03-Dec-14 16:55:21

I've done one from Nigel Slater's Kitchen diaries - tis very easy and nice and keeps well - will have a look and see if I can find it online. Think it has ground almonds, is that ok with you?

minipie Wed 03-Dec-14 16:57:24

nigel apple cake

here you go. No almonds in fact. It's quite a flat/slim cake though as he says. In his recipe the apple chunks sit on top of the cake mix but they could also be stirred through I'm sure (they tend to sink in anyway).

minipie Wed 03-Dec-14 16:57:58

PS keep an eye on the cake towards the end to avoid the apples scorching.

NoelleHawthorne Wed 03-Dec-14 17:00:07

oh yes mary berry dorset apple cake.
I don't do it as she says, i make the batter then do the apples when I am ready rather than fannying around with lemon juice

this is a newer version where she replaces almond flavour with cinammon

www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2731668/Mary-Berry-special-Spiced-Dorset-apple-traybake.html

this is moist and works every time

skillsandtea Wed 03-Dec-14 17:02:24

That 'other parenting site' (no names wink) has a lovely recipe for apple & cinnamon cake. Very moist and even better - so easy to make! I've had so many people asking me for the recipe.

WetAugust Wed 03-Dec-14 17:08:29

Love vanilla - loathe almonds

The NM recipe sounds good but I dont want to join them just to see it.

skillsandtea Wed 03-Dec-14 17:32:51

You don't have to join it to see the recipes smile

BeattieBow Wed 03-Dec-14 17:35:14

search on here for dorset apple cake - poster Hewlettsdaughter. I always use that recipe and its lovely.

BeattieBow Wed 03-Dec-14 17:36:30

here it is - c&p

Ok, here is the recipe for Dorset apple cake (it's really easy!):

8oz SR flour
4oz butter
4oz castor sugar
8oz cooking apples, peeled, cored and diced
grated rind of one lemon
1 medium egg, beaten
2oz sultanas (optional)

Set oven to 375F or Mark 5. Put the flour into a large bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, apples, lemon rind and egg and mix well. Add the sultanas if desired. Put the mixture into a well greased 8 inch diameter cake tin and bake for 30 - 40 mins until golden in colour. Serve warm as a pudding or cold, spread with butter. (Not that it really needs the extra calories - but thats what the book says!)

BeattieBow Wed 03-Dec-14 17:37:28

Its a bit like apple crumble cake - add milk if you want it to be more cake like.

Sorry for multiple postings - I made this last week twice!(I'm not that poster by the way).

WetAugust Wed 03-Dec-14 18:56:59

Thank you very much for the recipes.

I am tying my pinny on right now smile

NoelleHawthorne Wed 03-Dec-14 20:02:40

the almonds are optional - I often dont have any

but you're welcome hmm

WetAugust Thu 04-Dec-14 15:55:44

,Twas yum! I suppose this is called feedback grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now