Talk

Advanced search

Trifle

(10 Posts)
beckslovestimmy Mon 01-Dec-14 19:31:15

Any good recipes for Christmas trifle. First year hosting the family and its a firm favourite. I want to get it right.

OttiliaVonBCup Mon 01-Dec-14 19:33:16

Panettone, and creme de maroons in with the cream and grated chocolate on top
I think Nigella has a recipe.

OttiliaVonBCup Mon 01-Dec-14 19:33:38

marons

beckslovestimmy Mon 01-Dec-14 22:12:23

Thank you for the reply. I'll google nigella.

EmNetta Wed 03-Dec-14 00:09:29

I make a non-alcoholic version, suitable for children etc. which starts with chopped Jaffa cakes mixed with a few pieces of mandarin orange, then usual custard, whipped cream and decorated with more mandarin bits and grated chocolate round the edge. Never any left.

Usual adult version has homemade custard over chopped sponge cake sandwiched with raspbarry jam, a few cherries added as well as the sherry (Amontillado or Cream), followed by piped cream and anything you like for decoration.

Sipsmith Wed 03-Dec-14 16:19:22

I'm going to make this one for Boxing Day. Will probably use bought sponge instead of the homemade blondies - not enough time!
Black Forest

CMOTDibbler Wed 03-Dec-14 16:37:19

One thing I have learnt from MN is that family traditions on trifle are very firmly held, so its important that the style of trifle loved in your family is upheld! Jelly v no jelly seems particularly contentious, as does solid custard vs runny.

Personally, I go for the trifle of my childhood:
sponge, tinned strawberries (never used at any other time), strawberry jelly, strawberry blancmange (so it sets firm), whipped cream and glace cherries and choc shapes on top. No class or culinary style to it, but I love it

AMumInScotland Wed 03-Dec-14 16:58:12

I agree with Dibbler - if your family are used to one kind of trifle, then that's what they will expect no matter how nice any alternative is!

My family work on a 1970s trifle, and would not consider anything else to be a 'proper' trifle at all grin

piebald Thu 04-Dec-14 07:32:00

Trifle sponge, spread with raspberry jam, tinned raspberries, gallons of sherry and custard (tinned usually) Cream on top Yum
None of this poncey modern trifle-although my mum would think i had updated as she always used tinned peaches and ratafia biscuits on top-very posh

beckslovestimmy Thu 04-Dec-14 19:39:30

sipsmith that Black Forest ones sounds amazing. I think I might have to make that just for me!!! CMOT that sounds more like the one my family would be after. If you use tinned strawberries will a packet jelly mix set over them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now