Talk

Advanced search

Xmas day meal?

(23 Posts)
Stars66 Sun 30-Nov-14 22:07:34

That's it really!
Just what is your usual Christmas dinner?
Ours is usually prawn cocktail, Turkey roast and trifle!!! But I'm thinking that we need to come out of the 70's and try something different!!!

BelleateSebastian Sun 30-Nov-14 22:13:43

Nah, stay in the 70's it sounds delicious grin

ilovepowerhoop Sun 30-Nov-14 22:17:29

homemade veg soup, turkey, christmas pudding (for dh), pavlova or chocolate fudge cake for me and the kids

Letthemtalk Sun 30-Nov-14 22:21:42

Pretty much like ilovepowerhoop, veg soup, Turkey and ham with the trimmings, choice of pud, Christmas pudding/pavlova/vienetta (for dp). Christmas cake and mince pies after. Must have sprouts/ stuffing/ wee sausages/roasties and duchess potatoes.

MrsWembley Sun 30-Nov-14 22:31:12

Goose.

Need I say more?

Ok then, juniper sauce.

Oh yes...

LadySybilLikesCake Sun 30-Nov-14 22:34:05

The plan is; Salmon blini's

Goose

Cheesecake.

I may change my mind though.

I'm tempted to get pre-prepared veg and whack them in the oven to save time blush

Stars66 Sun 30-Nov-14 22:35:05

I didn't mention the xmas pud, mince pies and cheeseboard. But then again we often forget or are too full for too much booze them toowink

Stars66 Sun 30-Nov-14 22:37:13

I am tempted to go off piste for a starter this year and do a blue cheese on toasted pear with rocket. And a cranberry jus --but can I be arsed?!--shock

LadySybilLikesCake Sun 30-Nov-14 22:40:29

That's Boxing Day, Stars. Ham, cheese, salad, mince pies. We don't do Xmas Pud.

Fig, parma ham, rocket and feta cheese, drizzled with basalmic vinegar and with a few pine nuts makes a lovely starter. Bit easier to make than blue cheese on toasted pear with rocket grin All you do is chop the fig and cheese, and stick them all on a plate. It takes 2 minutes.

LumionaMoonsplash Sun 30-Nov-14 22:47:45

We are going off plan as Turkey is so boring, Lamb shanks and Slow cooked beef here. The usual trimmings and standard prawn cocktail though. Can't decide what to do for pud, probably cheesecake and profiteroles (for DM, she doesn't like cheesecake)

Stars66 Sun 30-Nov-14 22:47:53

That is true ladyS, though we have a vegi coming, so I was trying not to alienatewink

LumionaMoonsplash Sun 30-Nov-14 22:48:55

No to evil sprouts though..

Stars66 Sun 30-Nov-14 22:52:26

Mmmmmm sprouts with pancetta smile

LadyRubyPenhaligon Sun 30-Nov-14 22:58:07

Stars ours is identical to yours. We all love it so why change if your family do too? Although this year we are being more adventurous and having cherry and chocolate trifle insteadgrin

LadySybilLikesCake Sun 30-Nov-14 23:03:15

Goats cheese tart they sell them ready made in M&S

Stars66 Sun 30-Nov-14 23:08:41

Only thinking of changing because of said vegi who is possibly coming. And because DP keeps taking the piss about the prawn salad, even though I dug out a Jamie Oliver recipe last yearhmm

LadySybilLikesCake Sun 30-Nov-14 23:10:29

Nigella did a wonderful Christmas recipe book if you're looking for something different. Hairy Bikers is also fab. I do cook occasionally, I have to work for a few hours on Christmas morning though so I don't really have the time to prep the veg.

MrsWembley Mon 01-Dec-14 16:46:44

Don't have a starter, then! Do some canapés and just hand them round the once, then leave them on tables around the room so that people can nibble as they wish, with a glass of something special in their hand, whilst you (or whoever) put the finishing touches to the roast.

Job's a good 'un!grin

Stars66 Mon 01-Dec-14 22:39:08

My dad has just suggested we go and eat in the weatherballoonsconfused

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 01-Dec-14 23:08:48

Jeeze! You may as well stick a frozen Sunday roast into the microwave and save yourself the cash and time. I'd disinherit someone for that suggestion.

I used to work there as a student. If you don't like microwave or fried, there's nothing there for you.

Stars66 Tue 02-Dec-14 10:49:49

I think he was joking, problem is he does love the balloons for a cheap pint, but the people in there...confused
No DP is all about the organic £70 Turkey and trying to do it fancylikewink

LadySybilLikesCake Tue 02-Dec-14 13:04:40

Yup. The same people used to queue up outside for their first pint just before it opened and would be in there all day. It was rather depressing.

Nigella has some turkey recipe's. You should be able to find something online (cheaper then buying the book).

MrsWembley Wed 03-Dec-14 03:06:05

GOOSE!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now