Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Have you frozen bread sauce? And if so, was it nice?

(7 Posts)
ZuleikaJambiere Sat 29-Nov-14 19:51:02

I saw a mention in a Good Food magazine that you could freeze bread sauce. Can you really? Was it still nice? And if so, at what stage in the cooking process did you freeze it?

Thanks

Orangedaisy Sat 29-Nov-14 19:54:11

Yes, no problem at all, just froze at the end in serving dish and warmed through again in the oven before serving.

KillmeNow Sat 29-Nov-14 19:56:08

I have never frozen bread sauce as its so easy to make as you need it.

I have been known to start making the sauce as the rest of the food is being out on the table!

ZuleikaJambiere Sat 29-Nov-14 21:51:20

I might have a go at it, thanks for the tip Orangedaisy. I'm cooking for 10 this Christmas (my choice, I enjoy hosting) but as I'm working on Christmas Eve, have DDs birthday, with party on the 23rd and DH will be working for the 10 days before that without a break, I'm planning on having most of it in the freezer in the next week or so!

LoveAfternoonTea Sun 30-Nov-14 15:49:23

Yes, often deliberately make too much bread sauce and freeze the extra for another time, and have always made christmas bread sauce in advance and frozen. Tastes just as good, and much easier to do in advance as there seem to be a million other food items to be dealing with on christmas day!

magimedi Sun 30-Nov-14 15:56:45

Yes - often. It can look a little split when thawed, but reheat gently stirring as you go & it will be fine.

Anything you can do in advance for a large Christmas meal is a bonus.

I always made the gravy in advance when doing Xmas for loads of people.

Jamie Oliver has a good 'get ahead gravy' recipe & I'd just add the juices from the rested turkey to it.

LoonvanBoon Mon 01-Dec-14 20:17:13

Yes, I've done it & it's been fine. Have usually had to had a bit of extra milk / cream when reheating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now