Talk

Advanced search

Any recommendations for a mandoline? Anyone have a Benriner?

(13 Posts)
IsItTeaYoureLookingFor Sat 29-Nov-14 18:44:29

Im looking for a mandoline, something that will slice onions very very thinly without chopping my finger off.

Ive had a browse and wondered if anyone has tried the Japanese Benriner type ones. They have really good reviews but Im just ever so slightly scared of how sharp they are!

PolterGoose Sun 30-Nov-14 08:58:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pantah630 Sun 30-Nov-14 09:07:54

Watching with interest as I'm after one for my kitchen.

BrassicaBabe Sun 30-Nov-14 19:24:11

Watching with huge interest. The guard on mine is beyond shite!
DH always knows when it's dinner party prep as I'm working with hands in food bags to keep the blood off the potato duphinoise (my spelling nearly as bad!)
grin

petitdonkey Sun 30-Nov-14 19:25:18

I have one from Pampered Chef which is brilliant.

petitdonkey Sun 30-Nov-14 19:26:08

this one

Dancingyogi Sun 30-Nov-14 19:50:51

I have the oxo version, it's fine...the depth setting slips occassionally which is annoying.

IsItTeaYoureLookingFor Tue 02-Dec-14 09:37:21

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I ended up buying the Benriner as I need really really thin slices of onions.

I will report back when I get it. Its shipped over from Japan so will take several weeks and with Xmas coming up, possibly even longer.

StUmbrageinSkelt Tue 02-Dec-14 09:45:22

I've got the Oxo and the Benriner. I'm still quietly scared of the Benriner but it will give you very thin onions, way thinner than I could get on the Oxo.

IsItTeaYoureLookingFor Tue 02-Dec-14 11:00:36

Yes they are very very sharp but the reviews have been really good. I might get those glove things too to protect my fingers.

IsItTeaYoureLookingFor Tue 02-Dec-14 11:03:20

In case anyone is wondering i need very thin slices of onions for curries which I make very frequently. It takes an age waiting for them to fry into a nice golden brown colour. smile

Dancingyogi Tue 02-Dec-14 19:07:51

I love my mandoline for slicing up potatoes for lancashire hotpot, I'm good with a knife but that job just takes too long! YY to protective glove - great idea! Which ones are you going for?

IsItTeaYoureLookingFor Tue 02-Dec-14 20:10:35

I have no idea. Will probably look at some Amazon and check out the reviews.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now