Talk

Advanced search

Do I need a rack in my roasting dish?

(6 Posts)
LadderToTheMoon Fri 28-Nov-14 10:54:36

I need to buy a new roasting tin and have decided to buy a Mermaid one as I've heard very good things about them.

For a similar price I can either get a 13" one with a roasting rack or a 14" (or 16") one without.

I'm a bit worried that if I go for the smaller one then I'd struggle with cooking a turkey in it, but would I miss not having a roasting rack if I went for the larger one?

So, is it important to have a roasting rack?
How big a roasting tin would I need for a turkey? (would usually need one to feed about 8 people)

4merlyknownasSHD Fri 28-Nov-14 12:28:09

A roasting rack lifts whatever you are roasting out of the fat, so I always think that is good. It allows you to pour off the fat more easily. You can buy separate roasting racks though. Mermaid roasters are good, but as the company are no longer manufacturing, I would get it quickly while you still can.

LadderToTheMoon Fri 28-Nov-14 12:47:21

Thank you for the advice.

Wow, I didn't realise that Mermaid are no longer manufacturing. I've heard such good things about their tins/pans etc. Right, better go and grab one of the good deals I've seen!

4merlyknownasSHD Fri 28-Nov-14 16:31:47

In fact, I think you can also get them in Sainsburys, but with the Sainsbury's name on them. They look very similar indeed.

agoodbook Fri 28-Nov-14 19:01:48

Don't know if it really matters on a roasting rack - I do have one in one of my fancy roasting tins, but I more often use an old grill pan rack ( one of the little ones) ! smile

ireallydontlikemonday Fri 28-Nov-14 19:03:10

I never use one but use a vegetable 'rack' to help with the gravy.

Turkey goes in a doubled up disposable job!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now