Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can't find my Chilli Jam recipe

(6 Posts)
T0R1 Tue 25-Nov-14 16:30:58

I am looking for a Chilli Jam recipe that I have made before and I really loved. i thought it was Lorraine Pascal and I checked the recipe book I have of hers and it's not there. I was convinced. So now I cannot for the life of me figure out which recipe I have used. I think it is a female cookery book writer, Lorraine, Nigella…… any ideas? Or any suggestions?

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 25-Nov-14 16:35:40

Nigeria did one.in.her Christmas book.

cider vinegar, jam.sugar, red bell peppers and chilies.

really easy. Google nigella chilli jam

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 25-Nov-14 16:36:01

Now that's a typo lol nigella

T0R1 Tue 25-Nov-14 16:53:00

That's great, I'm starting to think i'm missing a cookery book and maybe that's the one!! I will use that recipe thanks for your help Giles…..

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 25-Nov-14 17:05:37

No problem smile

I'm due to make some more myself.

JamNan Thu 27-Nov-14 07:50:07

This one is from Hugh F-W in the Graun. I've not made it so I don't know what it tastes like. Don't forget to wear gloves.
For a volcanic result, use hot chillies and leave in the membranes and seeds; for a milder jam, use deseeded mild chillies or increase the ratio of sweet peppers. The jam is also very good if you stir in the finely chopped leaves from a washed 50g bunch of coriander before the standing time.

Makes three smallish jars.
300g red peppers (2 large ones), deseeded and roughly chopped
150g red chillies, deseeded (or not) and roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
500g jam sugar with added pectin
Juice of 1 medium lemon
200ml cider vinegar
½ tsp salt

Wash some jam jars in hot, soapy water, rinse, then put them in a low oven to dry out and warm up. Put a saucer in the fridge to chill.
Put the peppers, chillies and garlic in a food processor and blitz to chop finely. Put the sugar, lemon juice, vinegar and salt in a large pan or preserving pan (the mixture will rise up the sides when it boils). Heat gently, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.

Add the chilli puree, bring to a rolling boil, boil hard for five minutes, then test for setting point. Drip a little jam on to the cold saucer, return it to the fridge for a couple of minutes, then push the jam with your finger: if it forms significant wrinkles, setting point has been reached; if not, boil for two more minutes and test again.

Once setting point is reached, leave the jam to stand for 10 minutes: this helps to stop all the chilli floating to the top. Pot the jam into the hot jars, seal straight away and label when cool. Eat within six months and refrigerate once opened.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now