Talk

Advanced search

Roasting beef like in an aga but without the aga

(5 Posts)
MrsGuyMartin Sun 23-Nov-14 17:13:20

I'm doing a beef roast for 5 adults and 4 children next Sunday and need advice on roasting. The best beef I've had has been either from an aga or a slow cooker (brisket) but I don't have an aga and my slow cooker isn't big enough. How do I make a melt in the mouth roast without an aga or slow cooker?!

MrsGuyMartin Sun 23-Nov-14 17:13:43

And what would be the best cut for your method?

OldLadyKnows Sun 23-Nov-14 17:17:45

I would do two, or even three batches of brisket in the slowcooker, and reheat, sliced, in a conventional oven, slathered with yummy gravy.

I'm hungry now. envy

agoodbook Sun 23-Nov-14 20:07:39

You can still use brisket- just slow cook it.First roast for 20 minutes as high as your oven will go uncovered, then turn oven down to about 150/160 , add a half a cup of boiling water to the roasting tin, cover tightly with foil and then cook for about 3 hours - more won't hurt, just turn down the oven a bit more. (I usually work on having it cooked about half an hour before eating, so you can always adjust the timing ) -I always cook mine this way smile

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 26-Nov-14 06:14:25

I do a dryish pot-roast with a 1.5kg piece of silverside, browned in butter, then sat on a mixture of root veg, celery and onions inside a large cast-iron pot with a very well-fitting lid. A glass or two of red wine to moisten and a few herbs for flavour. Cool oven (130C fan, 140C or Gas 1) for 3 hours. But leave the lid on the whole time and, once the time is up, let the pot sit for about half an hour. Then remove the beef, put it under some foil and tea-towels to stay warm and thicken up any juices that have been created.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now