Talk

Advanced search

Quick advice - slow cooker ham

(4 Posts)
Sid77 Wed 19-Nov-14 13:58:33

I've got an unsmoked gammon joint in my slow cooker as I type. It's in with apple juice, brown sugar, cloves, cinnamon and ginger. It smells like an apple strudel. Should I leave it with all that stuff in or will it come out tasting like a strudel?? Should I just whip it out and put it back in on its own??

flatmouse Wed 19-Nov-14 14:17:16

Leave it - prob didn't need apple juice, as LOADS of liquid will come out of it. The saltiness will stop it tasting strudel-like, and it'll be delicious.
Last one i did had onions/whole apple/garlic with it. Maybe add a little garlic for some savouriness?

HerrenaHarridan Wed 19-Nov-14 19:48:37

It sounds amazing. I often put apple juice or perry in with my gammon I find it makes it more tender.

Sid77 Thu 20-Nov-14 14:53:42

I chucked some peppercorns in for savouriness (thanks flatmouse) and it was really, really good. However - uncarveable as it fell apart in chunks. How can I do one for carving? Different joint (I just had a jobby from M&S with a paper collar), cooking for less time?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now