Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help please! Cooking dinner for three friends and...

(20 Posts)
Secretlifeofme Tue 18-Nov-14 20:35:07

1. I don't have much money
2. I only have one large saucepan, no really large frying pan but I do have a large stoneware baking dish
3. I can't cook fish as one friend doesn't like it
4. I don't want to make lasagne as I made a massive one on Friday and have been eating frozen portions ever since.

Please inspire me! What can I make?

AnnoyingOrange Tue 18-Nov-14 20:37:16

Shepherds or cottage pie?

Secretlifeofme Tue 18-Nov-14 20:39:07

I thought of that but it seems a bit 'family meal'- do you know what I mean? Thanks though smile

BrockAuLit Tue 18-Nov-14 20:39:19

Fry some leeks, carrots and celery in butter/olive oil. Add pieces of boneless chicken (whatever's cheapest). Fry until the chicken's cooked. Att 2 tbsp of flour and cook for a couple of mins. Add a glass of white wine (whatever you are going to drink that night), half a glass of water, a pint of milk. Simmer for 40-odd mins until the sauce is thick.

Buy or make some pastry. Put the chicken in your baking dish, roll the pastry ontop, egg wash, bung in oven for 20-30 mins.

Serve with steamed veggies.

Always a winner!

TeaandHobnobs Tue 18-Nov-14 20:40:04

Melanzane parmigiana? www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/aubergine-parmigiana-melanzane-alla-parmigiana/

BrockAuLit Tue 18-Nov-14 20:40:16

Sorry, half a pint of milk!

BIWI Tue 18-Nov-14 20:40:40

Shepherd's pie? It may also be 'family meal' but it's cheap, it's very fashionable and everybody likes it!

AnnoyingOrange Tue 18-Nov-14 20:40:58

Baked chicken with lemon and garlic?

Good recipe here www.thelondoner.me/2014/07/mums-lemon-garlic-chicken.html

SaigonSaigon Tue 18-Nov-14 20:41:15

Google 'Martha Stewart's Baked Butternut Squash risotto'. Aldi sell arborio risotto rice and the other stuff needed. Low maintenance, relatively inexpensive and delicious.

You could omit the wine and use a normal onion instead of shallots.

nilbyname Tue 18-Nov-14 20:42:10

What about -

Roasted sausages, with Rosemary, garlic, olive oil and a splash of balsamic at the last ten mins, with root veg and crumbled feta on top served with a zingy green salad and nicely warmed bread.

Pudding-home made brownies with cream fresh with orange Zest swirled through

agoodbook Tue 18-Nov-14 20:50:45

Paella - just use chicken and sausages instead of seafood

TyneTeas Tue 18-Nov-14 20:51:31

How about a casserole or stew with baked potatoes?

Chicken and bacon casserole
tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/chicken-and-bacon-casserole.html

Beef in Beer
tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/beef-in-beer.html

Chilli Beef stew
tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/chilli-beef-stew_24.html

Or a make in one pan rice dish?

Chicken/prawn and chorizo rice
tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/rice-with-chorizo-and-prawns-sometimes.html

Golden spicy rice and chicken
tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/spicy-golden-rice-and-chicken.html

Or lower cost something like this bacon pieces in a tomato sauce with potato wedges and cheese on top
tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/loaded-skins.html

or stuffed peppers
tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/stuffed-peppers.html

(although tomato and cheese, they don't taste that much like lasagne)

Good luck!

Secretlifeofme Tue 18-Nov-14 21:10:53

Thank you all so much flowers I really like all of your suggestions, I'm veering between the sausages, the lemon and garlic chicken and the chicken pie at the moment. rep them coming though please!
By the way, in card you're wondering, the reason I don't have much kitchen equipment is because I recently left my partner and moved into a furnished flat. All I have is what came with the flat as I can't currently afford to buy more.

nilbyname Tue 18-Nov-14 21:15:03

op I hope you have a brilliant newly footloose finnwe party!

If I were you and it was good mates coming, could one bring a dessert? Or a side dish?
Have a lovely eve

agoodbook Tue 18-Nov-14 21:37:55

Enjoy yourself!

Waswondering Tue 18-Nov-14 21:40:24

Nigella Spanish chicken. Tray baked chicken thighs, chorizo, red onion. Takes 2m to put together in one dish. Lovely to ignore and smells fabulous!

slippermaiden Tue 18-Nov-14 21:42:09

Mushroom risotto? Cheap and lovely. Or jambalaya?

Waswondering Tue 18-Nov-14 21:42:25

www.nigella.com/recipes/view/spanish-chicken-with-chorizo-and-potatoes-5160

Secretlifeofme Tue 18-Nov-14 22:51:58

Mmm that nigella thing looks yummy! I was thinking of getting them to bring stuff but honestly I'd rather do it myself. Thank you all so much, these ideas are fab smile

Waswondering Wed 19-Nov-14 21:29:16

It is yum. The hardest bit is remembering to actually pop it in the oven. It smells amazing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now