Talk

Advanced search

Mediterrean diet

(7 Posts)
MarjorieMelon Tue 18-Nov-14 17:17:21

Lots of talk in the media about the Mediterrean diet being healthy. Can anyone recommend a cookery book? Thank you.smile

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 19-Nov-14 09:17:09

I think if you Google 'Italian Cooking' you'd be inundated with Mediterranean ideas. Fundamentals are.... meat and cheese used only for flavouring ... lots of seasonal veg, beans and tomatoes... olive oil.... fresh herbs.... fresh fruit.... embrace 'carbs'.

MarjorieMelon Wed 19-Nov-14 10:25:52

Thank you. smile

Dancingyogi Wed 19-Nov-14 11:16:19

Refined Carbs are low in nutrients, so I wouldn't embrace them too tightly. Basically eat a wide variety of fresh food including real fat and avoid processed and you'll be doing great.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 19-Nov-14 12:19:30

The original Mediterranean Diet has a fair proportion of refined carbs and still scores really highly nutritionally smile Think of all the lovely different breads, noodles, polenta ... yummy! But if you want to adjust you can go more for wholegrains, wholewheat pasta, wholemeal bread, pulses etc.

MissYamabuki Sun 23-Nov-14 01:35:23

Ottolenghi books probably.

I'd think of it as a diet with lots of veg and pulses, a fair amount of fish and meat only eaten occasionally.

HTH

JamNan Sun 23-Nov-14 09:08:51

These are my favorites and I use them over and over.

Sam and Sam Clark Moro, Casa (Spain and Morocco)
Claudia Roden Arabesque, (Turkey, Lebanon and Morocco)
Giorgio Locatelli Made in Sicily, Made in Italy
Ottolenghi,all his books are good
Carluccio An Invitation to Italian Cooking
Jamie Oliver Jamie's Italy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now