Talk

Advanced search

Packed lunches for OH advice

(16 Posts)
Celestria Tue 18-Nov-14 00:41:25

My OH drives all over the place in his job. He's always on the go and rarely makes time to stop and eat. We are moving in together and I want to start making him lunches for work.

I make lots of soup and so a flask for soup would be ideal. What other meals could I make that I can keep warm as it's unlikely he will be anywhere he can heat things up.

I make a Mediterranean pasta which he loves and also macaroni cheese. There is usually a fair bit left over that I could use for lunches but is there any way of keeping them warm?

TIA.

HowsTheSerenity Tue 18-Nov-14 01:05:52

Insulated lunchbox?
Heat the food to hotter then edible then wrap the container in foil.

TheSpottedZebra Tue 18-Nov-14 01:07:17

You can get food flasks - like a drinks flask but with a wider neck.
Anything sloppy would go in there, eg stew, and er, other sloppy meals.

< memory blank>

Celestria Tue 18-Nov-14 01:20:41

Okay so an insulated lunch bag with a wide neck thermos flask? I've just read to fill the flask with boiling hot water for a few minutes before putting food in?

Also, I've never frozen food before in my life. Sad but true. Suppose I have frozen some soup or pasta into portion sizes. Would I just take one out and leave it in the fridge overnight to defrost? Then in the morning would I heat it through in the microwave or on the hob?

Total novice. smile

Celestria Tue 18-Nov-14 07:22:05

grin

Celestria Tue 18-Nov-14 11:44:38

Help meeee! I might poison him. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing smile

mouselittle Tue 18-Nov-14 17:31:50

I find most things can be cooked in the microwave straight from frozen.

fusspot66 Tue 18-Nov-14 17:37:24

Don't bloody start making him lovely lunches. You are making a rod for your own back. The chores you take on during the loved up stage will set a pattern to the division of labour you may come to regret. You are not his mother. ( Bitter? Me?)
Unless of couse he is cosseting you in a reciprocal way.

mouselittle Tue 18-Nov-14 18:34:47

fusspot66 does have a point

BitOutOfPractice Tue 18-Nov-14 18:36:17

Why can't he make his own lunch?

Celestria Tue 18-Nov-14 20:53:55

I want to make his lunch. I love cooking and enjoy knowing my food is being appreciated smile

TaraKnowles Wed 19-Nov-14 09:54:45

I wouldn't bother, I'd think that if he wanted to eat lunch that he would, and he would only be eating your lunches to please you.
I'd save your time and effort for your evening meals.

Celestria Wed 19-Nov-14 10:11:05

Without any offence intended I wasn't asking if I should make him lunch smile

TaraKnowles Wed 19-Nov-14 12:12:40

Sorry! If time is an issue for him I would make things like scotch eggs, pasties/pies or sandwiches.

VeganCow Wed 19-Nov-14 12:16:38

Celestria have you thought about looking for a 12v in car charged thermos, like this?

Celestria Wed 19-Nov-14 13:10:11

That looks great! Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now