Talk

Advanced search

Birthday cake recipe?

(3 Posts)
clare8allthepies Mon 17-Nov-14 21:58:21

Attempting to make a birthday cake for the baby tomorrow. I was planning on the usual sponge recipe I use for a Victoria sandwich but now I'm wondering if it's going to be too light and crumbly to take the icing (I bought some ready made fondant icing)
Do you think it will be ok or does anyone have a recipe for a more 'robust' cake.
Thanks smile

sandy1969 Mon 17-Nov-14 22:56:55

I think it will be OK, you can put buttercream under the fondant then it doesn't matter. Buttercream can change the shape of any cake, it will become your friend if you venture into novelty cakes. Delia's recipe usually works for me. I'm sure there are more professional ways but this has worked for me. Tip - when kids are older, let them help a bit then it doesn't matter how wobbly the end result.

4merlyknownasSHD Tue 18-Nov-14 09:13:04

A more robust cake would be a Madeira. Many recipes about, but the key thing is that it is better made a day or two before (less pressure on the day), and can be iced beforehand as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now