Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone ever corned their own beef?

(3 Posts)
Titsalinabumsquash Mon 17-Nov-14 19:44:46

I have a lot if meat to prepare/cook and freeze or eat, I have a large beef brisket ready to go in my fridge.

I was going to corn it and slice it like my Mum used to when we lived in NZ, I only ever saw the cooking bit though, I never knew it was cured for a week!

I don't think I've got a container big enough to hold it, keep it submerged and fit in the fridge and I don't think it's cold enough outside in the shed to be safe.

Anyone done this and can give me tips for the future or does anyone have any recipes for a large brisket? I usually slow cook it but was was underwhelmed last time we did it,

agoodbook Mon 17-Nov-14 22:20:26

I haven't done it, but my niece has ! tricky to get some of the ingredients - she had to go on the internet for some. She used the recipe in the Larousse that I got her for a wedding present smile ( she is a true cook and foody!) Seems it was great

pinkcheese Tue 18-Nov-14 07:37:38

For a brisket, I would make Sauerbraten or Salt beef. Both require soaking/brining but both are really easy and delicious. MIL loved my sauerbraten and was then offended that it was just brisket as that's a 'cheap' cut grin

Google for recipes, there's a good Guardian salt beef one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now