Talk

Advanced search

Dairy-rich meal ideas please

(11 Posts)
Gerty1002 Sun 16-Nov-14 21:56:10

My 14mo DS has suddenly decided he doesn't want to drink more than a few sips of milk at a time (or any other fluid for that matter, but that's a whole other poo related story...)

So what can I give him to up his calcium intake, other than cauliflowrr cheese and macaroni cheese? He's being a bit of a fusspot at the moment and prefers finger foods (I think teething is involved) but I'm willing to try anything. He's good with breakfast so have been giving him porridge or weetabix, scrambled egg and toast etc.

Any ideas welcome. TIA.

debbiedoodle Sun 16-Nov-14 23:03:15

Try this website, it has a list of foods and how much calcium is in them, I don't like the taste of milk at all so this list came in handy for me finding alternative sources of calcium.

www.iofbonehealth.org/calcium-rich-foods

Gerty1002 Mon 17-Nov-14 06:38:08

Thank you, that's really helpful.

pregnantpause Mon 17-Nov-14 09:13:26

It's not finger food but a potato daupinois or Jansens temptation is heavy on cream/ cheese , and delicious.

How about bean burgers? If you bind them with cheese, and I think white beans ( butter beans for instance) are a good source of calcium.

Courgette and cheese muffins ( there are lots of muffin recipes where you can make the batter with yoghurt for extra calcium)

Broccoli and cheese omelette cooked well and cut into strips for him?

TheAlias Mon 17-Nov-14 09:24:18

Yorkshire puddings and pancakes are my ways to get milk (and eggs) into my fussy DS2

agoodbook Mon 17-Nov-14 10:32:04

Cheese straws or just cubes of soft cheese with a salad
Not finger food, but my DGS loves rice pudding ,bread and butter pudding and anything with custard smile

Gerty1002 Mon 17-Nov-14 11:34:05

Thanks everyone. Omelette was a semi - success yesterday with a corn on the cob, which he loved! He seems to be eating a little better at his new big boy table and chairs, though I've learned not to expect these novelties to last smile.

I think cheese straws and muffins etc might be a plan if I get time to bake. I do worry about the salt content of cheese but it can't be worse than the fish fingers I resorted to the other day!

thereistheball Mon 17-Nov-14 14:31:03

My kids love cream sauces, eg chicken, mushroom and sweetcorn in a garlicky cream sauce on pasta, with parmesan, or (smoked) salmon and peas, ditto? Or you could ditch the pasta and do meat in cream sauce. Or you could do "creamed" leeks (actually leeks in white sauce) as a vegetable - really nice as part of a roast dinner or with sausages. Or put cream on puddings?

Gerty1002 Mon 17-Nov-14 16:31:54

The problem is my DP can't abide creamy sauces! So I have to leave those things for the two days a week I'm home alone with DS during the day. We don't really eat puddings but maybe should start making custard etc

tywysogesgymraeg Mon 17-Nov-14 18:17:11

Rice pudding, semolina, custard, Angel Delight - all that kind of stuff would get lits of dairy into him.

Gerty1002 Wed 19-Nov-14 20:22:11

Thanks, might have to relax a little on the no sugary stuff rule smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now