Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fresh Tomato Sauce

(7 Posts)
IceniMist Sat 15-Nov-14 19:20:07

I am going to cook a very large batch of this tomorrow for things like pasta, bolognase, lasagne etc.

Any good recipes?

My pesto recipe wasn't great but now have lots to use up. So want to get this right.

IceniMist Sun 16-Nov-14 15:07:32

Well it is in thr slow cooker. Would still be interesting to know your recipes.

Petallic Sun 16-Nov-14 15:11:51

Mine is really basic - tomatoes, oregano, marjoram, onion and garlic. But really importantly - add sugar and salt. I use at least teaspoon of each - far more than I would expect to need. My mum gave me that recipe tip and now my tomato sauce is lush, even if I say so myself smile

Nicename Sun 16-Nov-14 15:19:12

I am a lazy cow, so here is my easy cook recipe:

Wash tomatoes. Cut into chunks I'd they are large
Put onto baking tray and sprinkle with olive oil, salt, pepper and dried herbsbof choice
Put into a hot oven for about ten mins until they start to squidge juice, then stir in sliced onions.
Bake for about an hour in total.

I generally pop this on pasta (with fresh basil) or jar it and it keeps in the fridge for a few days. Quite good for pizza, bruscetta, stir through couscous or rice as a salad, etc.

Nicename Sun 16-Nov-14 15:20:17

I never add sugar to a red sauce - a teaspoon of balsamic is an Italian trick I've learned.

ExitPursuedByABear Sun 16-Nov-14 15:21:32

Sugar and vinegar works for me.

IceniMist Sun 16-Nov-14 15:25:16

I used tomatoes, onion, garlic, stick of celery, grated carrot, fresh basil, puree, oregano, garlic salt, honey. Have a very large pan full.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now