Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me how to make a proper cup of tea!

(7 Posts)
RafaellaNhaKyria Fri 14-Nov-14 04:11:02

Having been raised by coffee drinkers, my exposure to brewing tea has been to plop a bag of chamomile in a mug and pour boiling water over.

It's freezing cold, I've got raging PMT and life feels shit in general right now and I think I need what you lot always offer in this situation: a cuppa. But I just know I'm going to make a crap cuppa, because...everything is shit right now anyway! I don't live in the UK but I did find a box of PG tips pyramid bags, so maybe that's a decent start?

SavoyCabbage Fri 14-Nov-14 04:18:57

So you have a pot you can use as a teapot? Coffee pot, milk jug?

Choose a good cup. Bone china if you have it.

Boil kettle and if you are using a pot pour some in, swill it around and chuck it down the sink.

Use two of those bags at least for a pot and one for a cup.

Put the water on and wait about a minute. Pour into cup if you are using a pot. Chuck bag away if just using a cup.

Add any extras now. Milk or sugar if you want and that's it.

SavoyCabbage Fri 14-Nov-14 04:20:50

If you live in Australia you can get Yorkshire Tea now in the supermarkets for next time.

ZingOfSeven Fri 14-Nov-14 05:00:06

google Doc Brown Proper Tea on Russell Howard's Good News.

grin

RafaellaNhaKyria Fri 14-Nov-14 05:24:34

Thanks Savoy, for some reason I thought it was going to be more involved than that. From hearing people talk there seem to be so many ways to muck it up.

I do actually have a teapot, believe it or not. It's never been used, though. I live in rural US...it's amazing PG tips turned up in our local shop at all! It was idiotically expensive compared to all the other tea there i.e Lipton and Tetley.

I must say I made a cup a little while ago and I was astounded at the way the bag nearly exploded when the water touched it. I've never seen a tea bag turn into a massive ball!

RafaellaNhaKyria Fri 14-Nov-14 05:25:20

Zing, I'm off to find Doc's instructions as well grin

SavoyCabbage Fri 14-Nov-14 05:27:08

Use your pot for sure as you can top your cup up if it's not strong enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now