Talk

Advanced search

Skinny Granola bars

(5 Posts)
zzzzz Tue 11-Nov-14 23:03:47

Anyone got any good ideas of things to stick granola together that aren't sugar or chocolate based?

I make lovely granola and yesterday stuck it together with white chocolate to make an easy grab snack/breakfast. While it was scrummy, I don't think that amount of chocolate is a great idea (though something dairy would be, I suppose, as a sort of pseudo-bowl of cereal).

Do you think egg white would work to bind?

spilttheteaagain Wed 12-Nov-14 14:34:21

I'm not sure but have a hunch peanut butter (or other nut/seed butter) might do the trick?

Or sub honey/syrup for treacle/molasses for a darker flavour and lots of iron, calcium and magnesium.

spinningirl10 Wed 12-Nov-14 14:36:42

Hi, what about blended dates?
Check out deliciously Ella blog or The Green Kitchen for some fab ideas grin

couldbeanyone Sat 15-Nov-14 16:26:28

Hugh fearnley whittingstall has some breakfast bars and the "sticky" ingredient is blended dates/banana or peanut butter/coconut oil, from memory.

zzzzz Sat 15-Nov-14 17:43:33

I think date is basically sugar, and nuts will be too crumbly. I'm thinking of just mixing up sponge cake and then mixing that through granola so there's just enough to stick it together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now