Talk

Advanced search

gluten free cake disaster!

(8 Posts)
Misty9 Mon 10-Nov-14 16:49:10

I'm making Spanish apple cake (from baby led weaning cookbook) with olive oil and gluten free flour but the mixture is nowhere near pourable as the recipe states! I've added more oil, but now it won't mix in.

Milk? Bin?!

MamaMed Mon 10-Nov-14 16:59:25

Sadly I've never had much luck with gluten free cake.

The only decent cake I've ever made that is gluten and dairy free is the chocolate olive oil cake on nigella's website.

IAlreadyToldYou Mon 10-Nov-14 17:04:31

No experience with this cake, sorry! But I regularly make gluten free carrot cake and gf cupcakes. I could type out the recipe for you later if you'd like it?

SirVixofVixHall Mon 10-Nov-14 17:08:41

I make gluten free cake all the time. Sometimes even with regular flor a recipe can be more or less pourable, occasionally it is a fault with the recipe (I have had to half the fluid in one recipe to get the cake to work, and that is with regular flour). Sometimes the other variables. I would just follow the recipe and ignore pourability. Adding more oil is never a good idea, if you need more moisture, then a tablespoon of milk is the best thing to add. I would up the other ingredients now, to equal the oil increase, and then bake it, adding a little bit of milk if it really seems dry, but there is a lot of moisture in apples anyway.

flamingtoaster Mon 10-Nov-14 17:23:32

Glutenfree flour often absorbs more moisture than normal flour so you sometimes have to add a little milk (if allowed) or water to get the pouring consistency.

Misty9 Mon 10-Nov-14 18:51:59

Thanks all, I baked it as it was, just adding ssultanas, and it came out fine for a gluten free cake

I wasn't sure whether milk would be funny with the oil?

Yes please to carrot cake recipe! I love carrot cake grin

Iamyourmil Mon 10-Nov-14 18:54:27

I would love to have the carrot cake recipe too, please. I've got coeliac.

IAlreadyToldYou Mon 10-Nov-14 20:35:34

Ok, will be back in a little bit with the recipes smile. (My dh is coeliac).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now