Talk

Advanced search

What can I do with lots of over ripe frozen bananas?

(19 Posts)
yellowdinosauragain Mon 10-Nov-14 15:09:19

We tend to buy more bananas than we need and rather than waste them when they get over ripe sling them in the freezer to use in the future.

This weekend while sorting out the freezer I discovered 23...

I've made 2 banana loaves and plan to make banana 'icecream' with some (liquidise the frozen bananas and hey presto - healthy ice cream!), but with the best will in the world this isn't going to use all of them.

Have any of you got any recipes for the rest? Preferably not too many variations on cakes / muffins but wierd and wonderful recipes I might not have heard of?

Tvseemstobemyhobby Mon 10-Nov-14 15:18:07

Smoothies?

yellowdinosauragain Mon 10-Nov-14 15:24:49

Smoothies is a great suggestion thanks!

OscarWinningActress Mon 10-Nov-14 16:36:02

Do you like porridge? I add chunks of frozen banana to the pot of oats while it's cooking. Stir with a whisk to mash the chunks and blend them in. Adds natural sweetness. Top with chopped nuts, raisins or a blob of peanut butter.

yellowdinosauragain Mon 10-Nov-14 17:36:31

I'm not a massive porridge fan but that actually sounds really good. Dh loves porridge so maybe I can get him to use some up that way. Thanks!

agoodbook Mon 10-Nov-14 19:42:46

Bananas and custard ! - oh that brings fond memories of my childhood smile

Jenijena Mon 10-Nov-14 19:46:59

Yellowdinosaur are you me? Also on a freezer clear out (at least 18 meals in there; no wonder there's never any space --for ice cream--) and wondering what to do with tens of bananas. Porridge idea is fab, thank you

orangefusion Mon 10-Nov-14 19:49:12

Chuck them in the bin. Bananas are good for nothing.

LakeFlyPie Mon 10-Nov-14 22:46:36

My frozen banana supply is growing too!
Made DC banana smoothies with coconut milk and some vanilla extract this evening which went down well.

Made a banana and honey loaf cake (MB) last night to use up a few very ripe 'nanas - looks good with honey glaze and nibbed sugar on top cake.

Janenicola1976 Wed 12-Nov-14 14:37:44

yes smoothies good idea or cakes! Deffo!! Yum!

KateMoose Thu 13-Nov-14 09:35:42

My smoothie this morning- which I have left in the car and need to get is one banana, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 2 dates, top up with almond milk and ice and blend oh, and almond butter. Yum. I suppose you could add cacao and/or espresso powder to make a kicking version.

KateMoose Thu 13-Nov-14 09:36:15

Banana pancakes. Drop Scones recipe and add banana.

yellowdinosauragain Thu 13-Nov-14 14:27:00

Thanks everyone for the rest of those ideas! The smoothie recipes in particular are tempting me... Jenijena hope you manage to get through your stash too!

AmericasTorturedBrow Sat 15-Nov-14 00:30:31

Yes to breakfast smoothies, ours are:

ADULT
Coffee pre made the night before then used to soak dates, blend with frozen bananas, almond butter, chia seeds and almond milk

DC
Frozen bananas, peanut butter, almond milk and porridge oats (which I put in the blender first to turn into flour consistency)

ScienceRocks Sat 15-Nov-14 10:43:24

I did this a couple of weeks ago. Bill granger's self saucing banana and caramel pudding. I served it with natural yogurt because my freezer was too full of frozen bananas to have any ice cream in and it was very good.

Nigel Slater's banana muscovado cake uses an astonishing 400g of bananas, which is maybe six, and is phenomenally good.

Otherwise, banana pancakes for breakfast. The Nigella recipe is good, as is her recipe for banana breakfast ring.

Mouldypineapple Sat 15-Nov-14 10:45:16

Do you freeze them in their skins? Or naked??

QuinionsRainbow Sun 16-Nov-14 14:19:54

If you're into home wine-making, and have a brew on the go or pending, two or three bananas in the must will add a bit of body. Or you could probavbly try a full-on banana wine.

mrspremise Sun 16-Nov-14 17:19:04

you can just whizz frozen bananas in the food processor to make an near-instant 'ice-cream'. Add honey or cream if you feel you need to, but I like them just whizzed as is... My DC love it for breakfast, sprinkled with muesli grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now