Talk

Advanced search

Alternative topping for cottage pie?

(12 Posts)
HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sun 09-Nov-14 11:09:19

I'm just making the base for a cottage pie but don't have any potatoes to put on top.

Any suggestions for an alternative?

I have bread, a small amount of flour and various other random ingredients.

Was planning to serve with small Yorkshire puddings, stuffing, carrots and peas.

dorothymichaels Sun 09-Nov-14 11:13:45

Some kind of dumpling?

dorothymichaels Sun 09-Nov-14 11:14:30

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mince_and_dumplings_47431

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Sun 09-Nov-14 11:18:45

Swede and carrot mash? Or just the mince and gravy with any veg you have inside the Yorkshire puddings

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sun 09-Nov-14 11:40:09

Thanks for the suggestions smile

I'll have a go at dumplings. I've made them once before and they were easy but not sure if I have enough flour.

Haven't got a swede and my Yorkshires are Aunt Bessie's blush so are a bit small for filling.

I have just found a bag of sweet potato child in the freezer...might chuck a few in the oven grin

DearGirl Sun 09-Nov-14 11:40:52

Make it into a pie

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sun 09-Nov-14 11:49:02

Pastry scares me a bit blush. Especially, as I will be feeding my mother this evening and she is a pastry expert and doesn't hold back on her constructive critisism grin...maybe I could get her to make it and bring it with her grin

chemenger Sun 09-Nov-14 11:54:13

You can make a crumble topping, rub together flour and butter (like sweet crumble without the sugar) add pepper and herbs then finely crush a bag of ready salted crisps and mix that in. My mum used to make this, back then bags of crisps were considerably bigger so for four people you probably need two modern day bags of crisps!

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sun 09-Nov-14 12:03:06

Ooh, maybe I could add breadcrumbs instead of crisps?

Allalonenow Sun 09-Nov-14 12:03:37

Flavour the meat with some oregano and garlic and add tomatoes, then serve with pasta.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sun 09-Nov-14 12:18:37

Thanks but I've already put the meat in the slow cooker and used the last of the pasta last week...can you tell I need to go food shopping?! grin

AGnu Sun 09-Nov-14 12:25:27

I make a tuna crumble. The topping is just breadcrumbs mixed with a little oil so they go golden. Sometimes we add crisps, cheese, oats, herbs... Or anything else we have laying around. I see no reason that shouldn't work for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now