Talk

Advanced search

what can i serve with Smoked Haddock and Spinach Pots?

(13 Posts)
TheKitchenWitch Wed 05-Nov-14 08:44:00

Recipe is from an old Sainsburys Magazine and has taken my fancy. It's basically fish, spinach and chopped eggs in a creamy white sauce, then bunged under the grill.
I'm at a bit of a lot what to serve with it though - ds is not keen on mash, which I think is the obvious choice, and I don't want rice as I've already got it twice on this week's menu plan.
Any ideas?

Delphine31 Wed 05-Nov-14 08:48:59

I think this recipe is probably intended to be a starter, but it's the kind of thing I might eat for a light (ish) mid week dinner. I'd have a crusty granary roll with it.

You've inspired me - I'm craving this for dinner tonight now!

Blu Wed 05-Nov-14 09:04:03

New potatoes, or slices of wholemeal toast ? Or toasted ciabatta?

But mash is the obvious choice.

BonaDea Wed 05-Nov-14 09:05:30

If there is a sauce it'd probably be nice with rice, too.

TheKitchenWitch Wed 05-Nov-14 09:13:58

I'm going to do it in one large dish, rather than individual ones, I think it's meant as a light lunch or as you say, delphine, a starter, but even so there's no suggestion what to serve it with!

TheKitchenWitch Wed 05-Nov-14 09:15:05

Do you think bulghar wheat would be an option? Does that go with fish?

BonaDea Wed 05-Nov-14 10:33:33

Think that would be fine (in my mind it sits in the same box as rice and cous cous in the sense of being a bland-ish side dish to mop up sauce with - unless you deliberately add flavour of course).

OneDayWhenIGrowUp Wed 05-Nov-14 12:32:23

Mash was my instant thought, but if your son isn't keen, maybe sautéed potatoes, or baked wedges? Or a mash alternative, like root veg mash (carrot/swede/celeriac mix?) or soft-cooked polenta? I love polenta instead of mash.

The recipe sounds lovely by the way am googling similar ones! Thanks for the inspiration!

TheKitchenWitch Wed 05-Nov-14 15:01:45

It's actually potatoes in general he's not too keen on - he does eat chips and potato gratin, though. The only child I've ever met who leaves roast potatoes!

For some reason, I'm shying away from polenta because I can't imagine it going with fish and white sauce - we have polenta quite regularly, but always with darker, meaty or tomatoey sauces.

I've never done a mash alternative <hangs head in mash-shame>.

I think I'm going to go with bulgar wheat as we all like it, it takes no time to cook and I have just about the right amount left in the box.
And for future, I'm going to investigate mashing other veg and see if ds likes that!

agoodbook Fri 07-Nov-14 21:23:36

Bit late for this , but how about orzo - we love rice and pasta, so its win/win in our house!

TheKitchenWitch Sun 09-Nov-14 11:42:20

Ooh, that would have been great, and I had it the cupboard too! Ok think I might to put up a list of all possible accompaniments as to often we end up having the same again and again.

agoodbook Sun 09-Nov-14 21:22:03

I know what you mean thekitchenwitch I always have fallback don't have to think stuff, and then open the cupboard and go darn! At the moment, must remember to do puy lentils which I love, but the box is hidden by lots of pasta and rice packets smile

mrspremise Sun 09-Nov-14 21:32:26

Baguette

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now