Talk

Advanced search

left over chicken but not soup

(18 Posts)
sashh Tue 04-Nov-14 11:11:45

Yesterday I had one of those preroasted chickens from the supermarket for my tea (not the whole thing, made sandwiches) and now I have a carcas with chicken legs attached.

I don't want to make soup, I have thought about doing veg and freezing the legs as a roast dinner but I am open to suggestions, anything that is not soup.

addictedtosugar Tue 04-Nov-14 11:15:58

Strip off the meat, and make noodles with chicken and veg, or risotto

WhenDoISleep Tue 04-Nov-14 11:18:30

Risotto (chicken, bacon/lardons and peas is always a hit here), stir-fry or fajitas.

WhenDoISleep Tue 04-Nov-14 11:19:49

Or how about chicken pie?

AMumInScotland Tue 04-Nov-14 11:25:24

Leftover meat is nearly always turned into fajitas in my house. It has the advantage that the proportion of chicken to other ingredients can be varied according to whether you have a lot or just a little left!

SDTGisASpookyWoooolefGenius Tue 04-Nov-14 11:45:44

Mix up runny honey, five-spice powder and soy sauce, shred the chicken and mix it into this marinade, then fry it until it goes sticky, and serve with rice - it is delicious, and I am doing this with the leftover goose on December 27th.

misscph1973 Tue 04-Nov-14 11:47:11

You should still make a stock from the carcass, you can freeze it and use it as a base for stews etc.

weegiemum Tue 04-Nov-14 11:48:14

Here:
Chicken pie
Fajitas
Stir fry
Risotto
Sandwiches for packed lunch

weegiemum Tue 04-Nov-14 11:50:41

Chicken lasagne.

Spaghetti bolog chicken-aise!

sashh Tue 04-Nov-14 11:53:34

SDTG that sounds like the winner. There is a lot of meat so I might freeze some and will make stock.

SDTGisASpookyWoooolefGenius Tue 04-Nov-14 11:59:11

Oooh - I hope you enjoy it!

SDTGisASpookyWoooolefGenius Tue 04-Nov-14 12:00:28

Another option - maybe for the rest of the meat - my mum used to use up leftover chicken by shredding it, mixing it with egg and toasted breadcrumbs, and frying it - crispy breaded chicken with rice - yum!

Got99problems Tue 04-Nov-14 12:01:55

Was it one of those chickens bought hot at the store? Is it safe to reheat/ keep?

sashh Tue 04-Nov-14 12:11:36

Got yes it was, why wouldn't it be safe? It's been cooked but I don't see why it would be a problem.

Butterpuff Tue 04-Nov-14 12:16:07

Mum makes chicken yucky with left over roast chicken. (named as brother and I were not fans when we were young, now decided its rather nice)

Soften onion and mushrooms in butter till soft. Add Chicken, tons of fresh parsley, a small amount of chicken stock, reduce, add left over cream (from pudding that went with roast dinner wink) serve with rice and a lot of black pepper.

Though SDTG's does sound better.

BiddyPop Tue 04-Nov-14 12:18:48

Stir fry it with veggies and a Chinese sauce, either rice or noodles.

Nasi Goreng requires cooked chicken, a tin of tuna, handful of prawns, plenty of veggies, cooked rice and some mild curry powder to make an all-in-one leftovers/storecupboard type dish (onions, garlic as fresh veg, tinned corn, frozen peas - and then anything else lurking like mushrooms, courgette, peppers etc). I even use the oil from the tuna for the frying, cheapskate me and also adds extra flavor.

Risotto!!! Yum......

Chicken and mushrooms in a white wine and cream sauce (aka Campbells soup barely diluted with some cream/wine/milk; or a proper cream sauce from scratch), tarragon is a nice herb for flavor in that. We eat it with either rice or pasta; and I do it as often with leftover chick as frying up raw chick.

A sandwich, with lots of mayonnaise and some lettuce. Or a toastie with cheese and maybe tomato.

Toss into a tomato sauce, or even just into roasted veggies (onion, garlic, courgette, tomatoes, pepper and some olive oil, balsamic vinegar and oregano) with pasta. OR put those together, throw some grated cheese on top, and make a pasta bake.

You can freeze them too and do pretty much all of those ideas at a later time.

And use the legs as well for making stock, either to use now or freeze - (not just for the dreaded soup) - base for the sauce for chick'n'mushrooms, to loosen a Nasi Goreng a little, add flavor to pasta sauce, for risotto, to cook pasta in.....some use lots of stock, some use just an ice-cube amount!!

sashh Tue 04-Nov-14 12:39:21

OK the legs are in the freezer, the carcass is in the put with onion and garlic to make stock and in front of me is a bowl of noodles and chicken cooked in honey, soy and mirin - thank you all.

I wonder if I have just discovered the mystery chicken that does 4 meals?

Got99problems Tue 04-Nov-14 20:29:39

Just that I thought they say "eat within 4 hours" on them or something... I don't know, I've always assumed that they've been kept warm in the store for hours, so wouldn't necessarily be safe in the same way home cooked is. I might be totally wrong!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now