Talk

Advanced search

I don't want guacamole!

(99 Posts)
RedButtonhole Sun 02-Nov-14 10:35:21

So what else can I do with an avocado?

I have never bought or eaten one until I tried some guacamole off my sister's plate when we were out and I liked the flavour.

Alot of the recipes I'm finding involve salad which I'm not really in the mood for at the minute.

Any suggestions?

DurhamDurham Sun 02-Nov-14 10:36:52

Avocado and bacon sandwiches are delicious, especially if the bread is lightly toasted smile

NeedaDiscoNap Sun 02-Nov-14 10:37:40

Mash it on toast - some sea salt, a little bit of olive oil, and some chilli flakes if you have them. Toast needs to be chunky. Delicious breakfast or lunch I also eat for dinner when I'm in myself bit of an avocado addict

Selks Sun 02-Nov-14 10:39:02

Have it in a jacket potato with cheese or sour cream.

swooosh Sun 02-Nov-14 10:39:23

Oh I looove avocado!!

- a big salad with bbq and ranch dressing, roasted corn, black beans, grated cheese and avocado
- add it to fajitas or burritos, anything mexican
- on toasted bread (my favourite is chilli bread)
- with nachos. Cheapy plain nachos, salsa, grated cheese. Nuke in microwave or oven. Add avocado and sour cream.
- in sandwiches, club sandwich, BLT..anything really!

generaltilney Sun 02-Nov-14 10:39:43

Go retro - my MIL does avocado halves with cottage cheese in the stone space, which is delish. Or just oil and vinegar.

Three colour salad - mozzarella slices, avocado slices, ripe tomato slices.

swooosh Sun 02-Nov-14 10:39:48

with prawn cocktail too!

RedButtonhole Sun 02-Nov-14 10:44:57

I didn't think of putting it on toast, will try a bit of that at lunchtime.

keep 'em coming!

I eat loads of squash/ pumpkin etc but I can't imagine it going well with that, am I wrong?

RedButtonhole Sun 02-Nov-14 10:45:38

Oh! and thankyou so far! I am writing down suggestions to try smile

Stupidhead Sun 02-Nov-14 10:49:17

Just sliced with a dash of Tabasco.

Filled with blue cheese dressing.

Second vote for avocado and bacon sandwiches, my death row meal!

Snapespotions Sun 02-Nov-14 10:53:27

I love avocado - on toast or in a sandwich is divine. On it's own with soy sauce is delicious (tip from a Japanese friend!) Or in a pasta dish with tomato, mozzarella, basil & lots of garlic. They go well with prawns too.

Allalonenow Sun 02-Nov-14 10:59:06

Toast one side of a slice of bread, turn it over, cover with sliced avocado and top with slices of Brie or Camembert, toast till meltingly delicious.

Slice and add to prawn cocktail, lovely too if made into an open sandwich with brown bread.

LizzieMint Sun 02-Nov-14 11:01:21

Any time I have a wrap for lunch I usually mash half an avocado onto it, goes with everything as far as I'm concerned!
Also a handy tip for getting the stone out is to cut in half, then bash the knife into the stone so it's cutting into it a bit, twist, and the stone will lift out.

HolgerDanske Sun 02-Nov-14 11:03:10

Granary bread. No butter. Slice avocado thickly. Pile on bread, squeeze a bit of lemon over, black pepper and salt.

Heaven.

Elysianfields Sun 02-Nov-14 11:04:09

Mash it and add to grated cheese, loads of pepper. Convention says that you then put it between slices of bread but I often eat it out of the bowl with my mashing fork .... Well it is lower carb that way.

HolgerDanske Sun 02-Nov-14 11:11:32

When you are in the mood for a salad, this is my favourite. And super quick and easy.

Cut avocado into medium chunks, cut one tomato into medium pieces, cut a bit of cucumber into small thin slices. Mix in bowl with a big handful of coriander, lemon juice, salt, pepper and chilli flakes.

So good.

RedButtonhole Sun 02-Nov-14 11:20:44

Thankyou Holger I think I'm actually in the mood for salad now grin

Allalone now I will definitey be trying it with Brie, 'tis my favourite!

All of these sound pretty good, and very simple! No cooking involved with avocado it seems, which is nice if I'm in a hurry!

HolgerDanske Sun 02-Nov-14 11:28:33

I quite often have it for breakfast with bacon, scrambled eggs and tomato.

swooosh Sun 02-Nov-14 11:53:33

I also like it with shakshuka or huevos rancheros.

Allalonenow Sun 02-Nov-14 12:20:42

Make it into a purée half and half with ripe mango, use instead of cream - delicious with a slice of plain cake.

BonjourMinou Sun 02-Nov-14 12:23:09

mmmm prawn and avocado baguette... delicious!

Trills Sun 02-Nov-14 12:23:26

So you tried some guacamole, liked it, and now you've bought an avocado but you DON'T want to make guacamole with it?

I'm not sure I follow the logic.

Avocado is nice but can be a bit bland - the lime and garlic in the guacamole make it more interesting.

Chewbecca Sun 02-Nov-14 12:26:53

I love home made guacamole - did you have home made, chunky?

Also love it sliced or mashed in a salad, sandwich or wrap.

If a half is leftover, I will happily eat with some balsamic vinegar with a teaspoon, just as it is.

Make sure it is really ripe, a too firm avocado is a pointless food.

Chewbecca Sun 02-Nov-14 12:28:03

Could also mix with creme fraiche to make a side sauce for salmon a la Delia

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Sun 02-Nov-14 12:28:09

I slice it in half, remove the stone, fill the hole with a really tangy vinaigrette and eat it with a spoon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now