Talk

Advanced search

What size rib of beef to serve 10 people?

(6 Posts)
Petallic Sat 01-Nov-14 20:38:20

I'm thinking of doing a preferably rolled & boned rib of beef for 8 -10 people. How many kg should I order? I'd also like leftovers for Boxing Day.

I've never cooked a joint for so many people and I'm starting to worry about my small oven!

TheSkiingGardener Sat 01-Nov-14 20:42:57

I'd do a kilo for 3 to 4. Are you doing lots of accompaniments? If so you can get away with a slightly smaller pile of meat! Rib can have a fair bit of fat so it won't all be solid meat.

Petallic Sat 01-Nov-14 21:08:07

Thanks that gives me a starting point and I can scale up from there. will also have usual roast add-ons. Probably no starter but maybe a few canapés.

agoodbook Sun 02-Nov-14 21:30:19

Never had it boned and rolled but would ask for about 4-5 kgs with the bone in , or about 3- 4 kgs with bone out if you want spare for boxing day. Actually, if you have a small oven it may be best not rolled - its a flattish sort of joint, so should take up less room. Husband (who is my roast guru smile ) says it may be easier to have 2 smaller rolled joints than 1 big one - rib does take some cooking!

stealthsquiggle Sun 02-Nov-14 21:34:10

For 10 people, I would go for 3-4 ribs although we have done 5 in the past for loads of yummy leftovers (several meals worth)

Do consider doing it on the bone, though - it roasts much better than way.

stealthsquiggle Sun 02-Nov-14 21:35:05

On and invest £10 in a digital meat thermometer - takes the guesswork out of roasting times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now