Talk

Advanced search

Help with biscuits spreading

(7 Posts)
whethertheweather Sat 01-Nov-14 15:33:30

I've copied my post here from Cakes and Bakes for traffic.

I must be doing something wrong, as whenever I try to cut out shapes/men for gingerbread biscuits they spread and end up not looking like they should.

Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe for a really stiff mix that stays put?

GoldfishSpy Sat 01-Nov-14 17:22:36

Bbc good food recipes are usually very reliable

Here www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/gingerbread_men_99096

lyndie Sat 01-Nov-14 17:23:52

Are you greasing your tin or using baking parchment? I used to get that all the time with cookies until I discovered parchment!

GoldfishSpy Sat 01-Nov-14 17:27:20

Oh yes, I always use grease proof paper for gingerbread persons too.

whethertheweather Sat 01-Nov-14 17:40:48

I'll try the recipe and baking paper. We made the mumsnet witches finger biscuits yesterday for Halloween. Great fun activity and tasted good (apparently - I'm low carbing at the mo) but still turned out a bit fat after spreading. Would the size of egg I use make a difference?

GoldfishSpy Sat 01-Nov-14 17:49:00

We made the witches fingers too. Despite using grease proof under them, they spread too, though I don't normally have this problem with gingerbread.

divingoffthebalcony Sat 01-Nov-14 17:49:23

Try putting the dough in the fridge for a while after cutting the shapes out. Could also be a problem with the recipe, but chilling should help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now