Talk

Advanced search

Lunch ideas that are easy, cheap & filling (without bread)

(8 Posts)
Margaritte Sat 01-Nov-14 12:45:42

I'm trying to make an effort to eat healthier (been through a junk / oven food stage) and am just wondering what everyone has for their lunch.

I feel I eat too much bread, which gets smothered with something , usually mayonnaise & its not helping as I want to lose weight too really, just by changing eating habits.

I normally have my toddler to feed, as well as my self. Though at weekends have my older 2 boys at home from school as well, and my DH is home for lunch sometimes.

I'd like it to be quite easy too and we are scrimping so the cheaper the better. smile

Spanish omelettes

Make a big pan of soup at the weekend, and have it through the week

Margaritte Sat 01-Nov-14 15:32:11

Soups good smile any good basic recipes?

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sat 01-Nov-14 15:36:06

Pasta salad (eg tuna/sweet corn/pasta)
Baked potatoes

TooMuchRain Sat 01-Nov-14 15:43:25

Lunch today was rice with stir fried pak choi. Midweek, we also do the big pan of soup, usually with beans or lentils to fill it out a bit. This week's was veg with red lentils, tomato and lots of warming spices. Also as we are having lots of roast root veg or squash at the moment, I tend to do double and then we have it for lunch the next day with some feta.

TyneTeas Sun 02-Nov-14 00:12:50

This potato and bacon soup is easy cheap and tasty

tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/bacon-and-potato-soup.html

because of the potatoes you don't need bread for carbohydrate

pregnantpause Sun 02-Nov-14 08:49:08

I second/ third soup. My dc like a nice country veg soup- carrots, swede, parsnip, celery and potato chopped into small cubes and fried for a few mins to soften , covered in veg or chicken stock and left for twenty minutes. Blend add s and p and eat. Lovely.

I also have lots of egg based lunches. Omelette( maybe with peas and feta), scrambled with smoked salmon, a large veg frittata cut into triangles and put in the fridge for lunch for a few days.

Cous cous is very fast and easy though lots don't like it. With leftover chicken, some coriander and a squeeze of lemon I think it's lovely. Though my dc disagree and won't eat 'sand'hmm

guineapig1 Sun 02-Nov-14 15:38:53

Yes, agree with pps that soup is a good one. We also make a chunky soupy curry type thing. Basically dice any combination of veg/ onions and sweat gently in a bit of oil and korma paste. Then add a bit if water and cook until veg is cooked and most of the water evaporated. Easy to heat up in small portions/transport.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now