Talk

Advanced search

help me adapt this toffee cake mix by adding apple?

(6 Posts)
Creamoftomato Sat 01-Nov-14 10:36:55

hoping excellent bakers might be able to help? Bought pictured toffee cake mix on offer in Lidl this morning and I'm thinking that adding apple chunks to the mix will be where it is at (plus I have a v large number of apples) but should I reduce the liquid? The instructions say to add 200ml water and 60ml veg oil and mix. If I put a chopped apple or two in there my gut instinct is to reduce the water but I've no idea how much would work. Any wisdom?

CaulkheadUpNorth Sat 01-Nov-14 15:24:06

What kind of cake will you be making it into? If its a layer cake, could you put apple in the middle, or in the icing or piped into the centre of cupcakes/muffins.

Other than that, I'd chop apple into small pieces and add it once the cake is beaten, but before going into the oven. I wouldn't reduce the liquid, but would cook for slightly longer on a lower heat.

rosierelala Sat 01-Nov-14 15:29:58

Cook apple down and cool before adding to cake mix? I think it will make a lovely moist cake. or make a sticky apple reduction to pour over cake?

Bunbaker Sat 01-Nov-14 15:45:19

No, don't cook the apple first. It will completely change the texture of the cake and make it soggy.

I have a lovely recipe for apple cake and it is a basic sponge cake mix with chopped cooking apples added, so I would just add chopped apple to the mixture.

Toffee apple cake sounds lovely.

I don't normally care for cake mixes, but I have made bread with Wright's bread mixes and it was lovely, so their cakes should be nice as well.

Just another point. I find cakes made with oil have a harsh aftertaste that I can't get rid of, even if I eat carrot cake which has lots of strong flavours. Also the mixture will probably be softer than a standard sponge so it is likely that the apples will sink to the bottom.

Creamoftomato Sat 01-Nov-14 16:35:01

Ooo exciting, thanks everyone smile I'm a fairly lazy baker so probably will opt for just adding apple chunks and maybe a loaf cake? I'm picturing myself eating a lovely appley slice with a cup of tea. I will def post a picture when it's done (prob tomorrow).

Bunbaker do you think there's an oil substitute that would work? Butter...?

Bunbaker Sat 01-Nov-14 17:55:31

If the mix says use oil I would use oil. It is just me and my funny taste buds. I just don't like cakes made with oil - and I have tried a few.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now