Talk

Advanced search

Mayonaise - do you make it? It takes seconds with a stick blender & you'll never buy a jar of mayo again!

(39 Posts)
BeGhoul Thu 30-Oct-14 16:19:37

I've been making my own for quite a while now and I can no longer stand the shop bought stuff.

If you have a stick blender you can make a batch in a matter of seconds. For some reason you can't use olive oil for this method (well you can but the end result will be metallic and bitter tasting - something about the speed of the blades affecting the molecules).

I usually use organic rapeseed oil which is fairly bland and makes a lovely mayo. I add garlic or herbs or whatever I fancy at the beginning too.

there are lots of how to's on You Tube - here is a link to one: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z_b9CNW7wY

Archfarchnad Thu 30-Oct-14 16:29:14

looks great Be, but does it work with a stand blender (the kind that fit onto the top of a kitchen mixer)?

ProfYaffle Thu 30-Oct-14 16:32:28

I used to do this all the time and it worked really well but the last 2 times I've tried it hasn't worked and I've no idea why. confused Anyone know why it fails sometimes?

mausmaus Thu 30-Oct-14 16:33:25

we are egg free so have to continue to buy free-from stuff in jars.
but I agree the flavour of homemade is nice, esp the french way with a bit of mustard.

BeGhoul Thu 30-Oct-14 16:33:48

It's all about the chemical reaction which would be different with a standard blender.

part of the success of this method is the egg is isolated at the bottom of the tall vessel - the blender then emulsifies the egg with a little bit of the oil and then more oil is sucked in little by little.

With a standard blender the chemistry would be different, but if you have a hole in your lid, you can add the oil slowly and manually (vague memories of doing this years ago).

BeGhoul Thu 30-Oct-14 16:34:25

Prof old eggs?

Archfarchnad Thu 30-Oct-14 16:35:44

Ah bugger, I'm not going to buy a whole new blender just for that, and pouring the oil through bit by bit I'm sure to cock it up.

BeGhoul Thu 30-Oct-14 16:35:53

maus have you looked at vegan mayo recipes online? I've been wanting to try these for a while now: www.mnn.com/food/recipes/stories/3-recipes-for-homemade-vegan-mayonnaise

BeGhoul Thu 30-Oct-14 16:36:58

prof did you use a different/bigger container?

ProfYaffle Thu 30-Oct-14 16:37:06

No, def not old eggs.

JimmySilentHill Thu 30-Oct-14 16:42:26

Prof what oil did you use? When I used extra virgin olive oil it tasted revolting. If you use olive oil it must be the non virgin stuff!

Home made mayo with curry powder is amazing.

ProfYaffle Thu 30-Oct-14 16:43:14

cold pressed rapeseed oil. It worked fine for ages, then suddenly stopped emulsifying so I had weird grainy oily liquid.

BeGhoul Thu 30-Oct-14 16:45:08

the "science" on olive oil mayo and blenders:
"You see, extra-virgin olive oil droplets are composed of many tiny fragments, many of which are bound tightly together, preventing our taste buds from picking them up. Whip the olive oil with enough vigor, by say, using a food processor or blender, and you end up shearing those bitter-tasting fragments apart from each other. The result is a mayonnaise with a markedly bitter taste. Not only that, but these tiny fragments actually decrease the efficacy of emulsifiers like mustard or lecithin, making your sauce more likely to break.

So what if you want to have an ultra-stable mayonnaise that's still strongly flavored with extra-virgin olive oil but has no bitterness? The key is to use a neutral-flavored oil like canola or vegetable to start your mayonnaise. Once it's stable, transfer it to a bowl and whisk in some extra-virgin olive oil by hand. You'll still get plenty of flavor, but none of the bitterness."
here www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/the-food-lab-homemade-mayo-in-2-minutes-or-le.html

Bunbaker Thu 30-Oct-14 16:48:57

If you add a tablespoon of hot water the mixture re-emulsifies.

I would love to make mayo, but as it doesn't keep well I can't justify it unless making it for lots of people to eat immediately.

FurryDogMother Thu 30-Oct-14 16:50:23

The latest version of the Kenwood mini-chopper has an access hole in the lid, so it's now possible to use it to make mayo and Hollandaise. The chopper itself is under £20, and it's a brilliant bit of kit for garlic and ginger, or making pesto, or salsa as well as mayo etc. Great for small quantities - I love mine! Also easy to clean, and takes up very little room.

ProfYaffle Thu 30-Oct-14 16:51:10

Thanks bunbaker, I'll try that.

WhoKnowsWhereTheSlimeGoes Thu 30-Oct-14 16:52:24

Ooh, I love my mini chopper, wish it had the hole! I've got a stick blender, but it was a cheap one and hasn't got the tall narrow jug, I guess I could try a glass or jar instead.

BeGhoul Thu 30-Oct-14 16:55:37

I decluttered? misplaces my tall narrow jug.

So now I make it in an old Lidl grilled peppers jar. The blender just fits in, it's just narrow enough for the chemistry, and it comes with it's own lid.

silversixpence Thu 30-Oct-14 16:57:36

looks very simple on the video! I'd just be worried about raw eggs and giving it to DCs e.g. for tuna mayo sandwiches in lunchbox. Is it ok for a day or two in the fridge?

BeGhoul Thu 30-Oct-14 17:04:22

I keep it for about a week in the fridge.

And it is very simple - it's not one of those daft internet tricks. I actually first found out about this via foodie/chef friends.

JimmySilentHill Thu 30-Oct-14 20:46:30

I just use a pint glass DH got from a beer festival! I don't worry about the mayo lasting as I gobble it up within 3 days.

Prof is it the same rapeseed oil? Could it have gone off? I just use Aldi's cheapo olive oil. Tastes lovely.

whois Sun 09-Nov-14 22:37:36

Wow that is mega simple! I make it in my food processor by slowly dripping in the oil but that it much easier.

I only really make it when we have people coming round (eg for alioli) because we wouldn't eat that much mayo in a year let alone a week.

MissYamabuki Wed 12-Nov-14 05:43:23

Have always madre it like this - very yummy but lots of wastage as no body else líkes mayonnaise at home and I can't bring myself to keep it. Also I always use olive oil (EV, V or ordinary) and I've never noticed a bitter taste? TBH EV oil can have a strong flavour that not everyone likes!

Well done for sharing OP - the traditional method for home-made mayo is such an unreliable faff in comparison!

antimatter Wed 12-Nov-14 06:06:31

I used to make mayo with just egg yolk, not the whole egg.

Will try it both ways again to see which one I prefer.

lighteningmcmama Wed 12-Nov-14 13:13:13

Anti matter please post the results of egg yolk only, dd is allergic to egg white only. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now