Talk

Advanced search

Which stand mixer for making bread dough?

(8 Posts)
ContentedSidewinder Thu 30-Oct-14 16:17:06

I have had a Panasonic bread maker for about 7 years that I love. I make bread 2-3 times a week and the recipe uses 550g granary flour and 600g flour for pizza dough.

I am currently making pizza dough and it sounds like my Panasonic is struggling motor wise which is a first, and I am worried it may die sad

I very rarely bake the bread in the breadmaker so really it is more of a dough maker. I cannot knead by hand at all, it isn't technique, my joints are bad. So I was hoping to have a reason to persuade DH thinking of getting a stand mixer but the main use would be bread.

I do make cakes so it would make my life easier but it is mainly the dough making that decides the model.

What stand mixer would you recommend and how big a motor do I need? Thank you.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 30-Oct-14 16:40:36

I guess the size of the motor needed will depend on how big a loaf/batch you want to bake. Do you know how much in weight you are likely to use?

I have a Kenwood Chef, which I LOVE. And I have - and use- lots of the attachments. But it sounds like you def only want something to mix your dough?

ContentedSidewinder Thu 30-Oct-14 17:02:15

Thanks Spotted, I make a 2lb loaf and I make cakes but I don't think I would need something singing and dancing, I'm not planning to make my own mince grin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 01-Nov-14 01:56:47

Kenwood chef is what you needsmile

ContentedSidewinder Sat 01-Nov-14 09:51:54

Thank you Dame do you have a classic, premier or titanium?

I make a 2lb loaf with 550g flour so I guess I need something meaty. Is 800 watt motor enough?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 01-Nov-14 16:31:27

Just a classic. You can buy and add attachments as you want. It comes with a cake mix,2 dough hooks and a whisk. You need to keep it out on a work top, it's too heavy to move from a cupboard. It's very powerful and heavy. When it's on full blast it just about stays put, if it was any lighter it would move across the work topgrin

My gran had hers for 40 years and it was used practically every day. They are proper work horses.

I've only just started making bread and it works really well. Much prefer it to my bread maker.

ContentedSidewinder Sun 02-Nov-14 16:10:57

Fantastic Dame thanks. That really helps me.

I'll peruse Amazon and add it to my Christmas list.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 02-Nov-14 18:30:25

Have a really good trawl on line as I remember a massive price difference depending where I looked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now