Talk

Advanced search

JO's chip shop curry sauce

(12 Posts)
Tkmum23 Wed 29-Oct-14 23:02:17

Anyone have the recipe please? This was on comfort food this week...TIA

sourdrawers Thu 30-Oct-14 13:00:22

I don't have it and I couldn't be bothered to make it. Chip shop curry sauce is basically Japanese or 'Katsu' curry sauce .

Waitrose do it and my kids love it, with rice and Fried Chicken breast in breadcrumbs.

www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=139908

Margaritte Sat 01-Nov-14 15:08:29

I have the recipe- am I too late?

julie81 Sat 01-Nov-14 15:23:26

Cookery club thread were doing some from Jamie Oliver Comfort Food so someone who was on there may be able to help you even though they have stopped the thread for a while

Tkmum23 Sat 01-Nov-14 20:56:56

Yes please on the recipe I haven't managed to get it yet

Margaritte Sat 01-Nov-14 21:08:47

OK- will just type it out- its long! So will do my best to short cut it for you smile

Margaritte Sat 01-Nov-14 21:38:05

Serves 4
1 hour 30 minutes
plus marinating

INGREDIENTS:

4 X 150g chicken breasts
250ml buttermilk
2 heaped tsp medium curry powder
2 cloves of garlic
120g panko breadcrumbs
1 mug of basmati rice (320g)
25g creamed coconut
2 litres of vegetable oil

SAUCE:
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 thumb-sized piece of ginger
1 medium carrot
1 bunch of fresh coriander (30g)
olive oil
1 tsp each garam masala, medium curry powder, turmeric
2 heaped tblsp plain flour
1 heaped tsp mango chutney

PICKLE:
1 red onion
1 lemon
1 fresh red chilli

Press down firmly with the palm of your hand to slightly flatten each chicken breast. Place them in a bowl & pour over the buttermilk. Add the curry powder & a pinch of sea salt, crush in the garlic, then toss to coat. Cover & marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight. When the time's up, sprinkle the breadcrumbs on a tray. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk, shake off the excess, then turn in the breadcrumbs, pressing down to make them stick & flatten them a little more. Keep in the fridge until you're ready to cook.

For the sauce, peel the onion, garlic, ginger & carrot, then finely chop with the coriander stalks (reserving the leaves). Fry in a large pan over a medium-low heat with a lug of olive oil & the spices for 15 minutes, or until starting to caramelize, stirring regularly. Stir in the flour, then the mango chutney. Pour in 800ml of boiling water & leave to blip away for 15 minutes, or until reduced to a nice sauce consistency, stirring occasionally. Taste, season & add more mango chutney, if needed.

Meanwhile, place 1 mug of rice in a medium pan. Add 2 mugs of boiling water & a good pinch of salt, then break in the creamed coconut & mix together. Bring to the boil, stir, then put the lid on & simmer for 10 minutes, or until the water has evaporated. Turn the heat off & leave with the lid on. Make a quick pickle by peeling & very finely slicing the red onion. Place in a bowl with the lemon zest & juice & a good pinch of salt. Deseed & finely slice the chilli & add to the bowl, then mix up.

Just under half fill a large sturdy pan with vegetable oil- the oil should be 8cm deep, but never fill your pan more than half full - & place on a medium to high heat. Use a thermometer to get it to 180c, or add a piece of potato & wait until its golden & floating. Use a slotted spoon to lower the chicken into the oil, fry for 8 minutes, or until golden & cooked through, then drain on kitchen paper.

To serve, put a quarter of the rice into a small bowl, press to compact & turn out onto a plate, then repeat with the other portions. Place the chicken next to the rice, cover with the sauce, then sprinkle over the pickle & coriander leaves.

Margaritte Sat 01-Nov-14 21:39:22

Decided to just put it up how it is in the book- was aware I may miss something by cutting it down.

Margaritte Sat 01-Nov-14 21:42:15

Oh No! I just realised you only wanted the curry sauce - I got confused by the post after your OP & have given you the recipe for Katsu Curry - sorry blush

Be right back with what you actually want.

Margaritte Sat 01-Nov-14 21:48:34

Curry Sauce:
2 onions
5 cloves of garlic
2 carrots
olive oil
3 heaped tsp medium curry powder
3 tablespoons cornflour
2 tablespoons mango chutney
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
low-salt soy sauce

Peel & roughly chop the onions, garlic & carrots. Put a lug of oil into a large pan on a medium heat, add the chopped veg & cook for 20 minutes, stirring regularly. Stir in the curry powder, cornflour & mango chutney, then gradually stir in the vinegar & 350ml of boiling water. Simmer for 5 minutes to thicken, then blitz in a blender to the consistency that you like & season to perfection with soy sauce.

Pantah630 Sun 02-Nov-14 10:58:45

Lol, the HB Curry Book Katsu sauce is exactly like the chip shop curry sauce I used to serve as a teenager.
3tbsp sunflower oil, heated in large nonstick pan, add 2 med onions roughly chopped. Cook with lid on gently for 8-10minutes until softened, stirring occassionally. Remove lid, increase heat a little and cook for further 3 mins more, stirring often, until onions pale golden brown. Reduce heat, add 25g chunk root ginger, perved and finely chopped and 4 sliced garlic cloves, simmer gently for 5 mins, stirring occasionally.
Stir in 1tbsp med.curry powder, 1\2tsp ground star anise, 1\2tsp ground turmeric and a few twists of ground black pepper. Cook for 2 mins, stirring often then sprinkle over 20g plain flour and stir well. Gradually add 500ml hot chicken stock, stirring continuously until all incorporated. Add 2tsp tomato purée and bring back to a simmer, then cook for 5mins, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and use a stick blender until smooth.

Pantah630 Sun 02-Nov-14 11:00:53

3tbsp sunflower oil
2medium onions, chopped
25g root ginger
4 garlic cloves
1tbsp medium curry powder
1\2 tsp ground star anise
1\2 tsp ground turmeric
20g plain flour
500ml hot chicken stock
2tso tomato purée
Freshly ground black pepper

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now