Talk

Advanced search

batch cooking

(25 Posts)
JubJubBirds Wed 29-Oct-14 13:02:46

I know this has been done to death but I've got another operation coming up shortly and I'm having a bit of a panic!

We're anticipating that it'll leave me a bit worse for wear pretty much up until Christmas and so my DP will be doing pretty much everything while I'm recovering, including looking after me, the house and still be working too!

So I'm trying to make life as easy(!) as possible for us by filling up the freezer with lovely frozen meals that DP can just defrost overnight and shove in the oven. But I've run out of ideas. Any tried and tested suggestions would be very very welcome!

So far I've got;
Chilli
Shepherds pie
Lasagne
Sausage casserole
Meatballs
Bolognese
And a hundred million portions of root veg mash

hmm I can't seem to see beyond the mince+tomatoes ideas....

MrsPnut Wed 29-Oct-14 13:04:42

Spanish chicken? - Chicken, chorizo, chopped peppers, tomatoes and smoked paprika.
Pie?
Curry?

Costacoffeeplease Wed 29-Oct-14 13:42:23

I've just done some chicken and sweet corn in a cream sauce which I'll make into pies and freeze, and there's a beef, tomato and lentil casserole in the slow cooker to freeze in portions

Costacoffeeplease Wed 29-Oct-14 13:42:52

I also freeze roast potatoes and stuffed jacket potatoes as an alternative to mash

FrauHelga Wed 29-Oct-14 13:44:40

I was going to say chicken in a sauce

BlueberryWafer Wed 29-Oct-14 13:48:26

Chicken stew (or add curry powder for a curry option) - diced chicken, carrots, celery, potato and swede, because the potato is already in you can serve with crusty bread. Thicken with gravy when heated.

Same as above but with braising steak.

Not very inventive I'm afraid, but delicious and easy to heat up and make!

JubJubBirds Wed 29-Oct-14 14:08:42

Great ideas, thanks all!

I need to get thinking about veggie meals next. Everything's looking a bit meat heavy so far.

BlueberryWafer Wed 29-Oct-14 15:48:02

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/freezable

BlueberryWafer Wed 29-Oct-14 15:48:55

Sorry didn't do link. This website has some great ideas, some veggie ones to smile

BlueberryWafer Wed 29-Oct-14 15:49:19

Too*

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Wed 29-Oct-14 15:52:55

Prawn/salmon curry
Filling for a chicken and mushroom pie

DesperatelySeekingSanity Wed 29-Oct-14 15:56:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JubJubBirds Wed 29-Oct-14 18:43:01

You can freeze mac n cheese!?! Why did nobody tell me?! My life is complete. <wipes drool from mouth> No really, Desperately, how does it taste after it's been reheated? I always find reheated pasta a bit... hmm

Thanks for the link too Blueberry, I'll definitely add a few of those to the list.

chocomochi Wed 29-Oct-14 19:34:06

Chicken and mixed veg pie
Curry (Indian curry works well but found Thai curry doesn't)
Fish pie
Most soups freeze well and can just go in the microwave for a few minutes after it's been defrosted

agoodbook Wed 29-Oct-14 20:58:54

ratatouille
Nigellas chicken with 40 cloves of garlic - the one using chicken thighs is brilliant
Boston baked beans - I think thats Hugh whatis names recipe

bobs123 Wed 29-Oct-14 21:03:03

I find it handy to buy loads of chicken breasts, chop them up and bag into family sized portions. They can then be defrosted, browned in a pan and sauce of choice added.

<off to look for Nigella's 40 clove of garlic recipe>

agoodbook Wed 29-Oct-14 21:32:44

hi bobs123 - its this one - I make it quite a lot-(its a firm favourite since the time I made it for my daughters moving house day some years ago) great to do day before if I don't have much time . Freezes great too- I tend to do it in big batches when chicken thighs are on offer in the big packs smile
www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes/chicken-with-40-cloves-of-garlic.html

BonaDea Wed 29-Oct-14 21:36:30

Lamb tagine is great to freeze.

bobs123 Thu 30-Oct-14 10:27:39

thanks agoodbook I saw a similar recipe years ago and always wanted to ry it smile. I love Nigella's chicken and chorizo recipe too

BlueberryWafer Thu 30-Oct-14 18:07:40

Not really related, but every time I scroll past this on my phone's "threads I'm on" section, I read it as "bath cooking". Just thought I would share that important piece of information grin

agoodbook Thu 30-Oct-14 18:24:27

Well- I do like a really hot bath ! ( am I odd- as hot as I can bear , and then soak) so it might work- have to say, it would save getting up to stir regularly
grin

BlueberryWafer Thu 30-Oct-14 18:35:37

Not odd at all - I usually get out of the bath looking like a lobster! I love the water just hot enough to stand! I can only have rubbish "warm" baths at the minute due to being pregnant hmm

JubJubBirds Thu 30-Oct-14 19:31:19

Bath cooking sounds like it could kill two birds with one stone; nice relaxing bath and then when you're ready to get out get out dinner's ready too. You may have stumbled upon some amazing (yet disgusting) kind of time saver Blueberry!

DesperatelySeekingSanity Sat 01-Nov-14 13:04:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mineofuselessinformation Sat 01-Nov-14 13:11:46

Chicken cacciatora.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now