Talk

Advanced search

Dessert to follow curry? Ideally to be made in advance?

(23 Posts)
OrangeSunset Wed 29-Oct-14 12:16:34

Just that really. Cooking a curry for 6 at the weekend, and trying to think of what to follow it with....

Cheesecake? Passion fruit pavlova? What do you fancy after a curry? Hopefully a very fresh and light and fragrant one!

joanofarchitrave Wed 29-Oct-14 12:19:00

IMO I'd include something light with dairy to neutralise the spices.

I'd fall back on my top favourite, caffe affogato, because it's bog easy - the best vanilla ice cream you can afford, strong black coffee (tbh I've done it with instant for myself but obviously some form of fresh coffee would be nicer) - 2 scoops of ice cream in an espresso cup, pour over the coffee, enjoy.

Riverland Wed 29-Oct-14 12:20:20

BoojaBooja ginger ice cream with flaked toasted almonds!

momb Wed 29-Oct-14 12:22:10

Indian rice pudding (Kheer), barfi, kulfi.
Indian desseerts: sweet and dairy for a reason!

Icecream with mango, honey and pistachio nuts.
Kulfi if you cba to make it.
Chilled rice pudding with rosewater and pistachios.
Carrot halwa.

FurryDogMother Wed 29-Oct-14 15:35:20

Kulfi, or gulab jamun, or (and this is what I usually do) an exotic fruit plate - fresh lychees, starfruit, mango, that sort of thing, possibly with ice cream (bothWaitrose and Tesco do a nice ginger one - the Waitrose one is a bit nicer 'cos it has lumps of stem ginger in it). Alternatively, fresh lychees stuffed with stem ginger (or strawberry if you don't like ginger), dipped in dark chocolate and chilled in the fridge until needed.

OrangeSunset Wed 29-Oct-14 16:29:06

The rice pudding idea I like...I've seen a recipe for a cardomom one somewhere, or a mexican one with cold caramel?

Do you think that might be a bit controversial though...some people hate rice pudding?

FastWindow Wed 29-Oct-14 16:29:55

Involve mango. That'll go lovely.

Riverland Wed 29-Oct-14 16:30:52

Carrot halwa sounds amazing! I've never had it.

I love rice pudding, but yes, lots of people dislike it.

You could do the rice pudding, then just have ice cream/something to sprinkle on it (eg grated dark chocolate or bashed up nuts) for any loons who don't like rice pud.

MissOtisRegretsMadam Wed 29-Oct-14 16:33:43

Fresh fruit and ginger ice cream sounds delicious! What about a tropical fruit Eton mess type thing?
Rasmali (sp)?

feelingmellow Wed 29-Oct-14 16:36:55

Mango sorbet and wafers, with those sliced green soft fruits with hairy skins (can't remember the name-having a senior moment) on the side.

FastWindow Wed 29-Oct-14 17:27:48

Kiwis, mellow?

Truelymadlysleepy Wed 29-Oct-14 17:29:06

Sticky rice soaked in coconut milk with fresh mango.

feelingmellow Wed 29-Oct-14 19:07:24

Fastwndow -yes kiwis

Bunbaker Wed 29-Oct-14 19:09:52

I always feel extremely full after curry (because I love it and eat too much) so something light like a mango sorbet would be perfect. I wouldn't bother with anything dairy rich or too heavy.

MaryWestmacott Wed 29-Oct-14 19:12:40

lime cheesecake?

Nightboattocairo Wed 29-Oct-14 19:15:24

Lemon mousse. Ideal. Light & lovely.

GertrudeBell Wed 29-Oct-14 19:27:50

I make a mint chocolate fondant - homage to an After Eight! Not easy or ready in advance however... Maybe mint choc mousse instead?

Riverland Wed 29-Oct-14 21:00:22

Ohhhhhhh Gertrude!

It's 9pm, I've just seen your post. Would like your home made mint choc fondant NOW.

Gosh. Life is tough sometimes.

wanders off to rummage through kitchen cupboards vaguely looking for something mint chocolatey

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 29-Oct-14 21:18:03

Mango granita - it's just whizzed up mango, some prosecco, some stem ginger and juice all whizzed in the blender then frozen. Great after curry. You could use coconut milk instead of prosecco if you wanted something closer to ice cream.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 29-Oct-14 21:19:40

^^ and some sugar syrup, just remembered. (Always google my recipes. Memory is getting something awful).

agoodbook Thu 30-Oct-14 15:27:24

Ice cream and mango also has my vote, but I adore pannacotta , so try to do it as often as I can get away with grin maybe with mango on the side?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now