Talk

Advanced search

Using up frozen spinach

(17 Posts)
vvviola Fri 24-Oct-14 23:58:55

We're moving house/country/continent just after Christmas. Which means I need to have empty cupboards and freezer by then. I decided to go through my freezer today to see what's in it to avoid having to eat really weird combinations during Christmas week. Everything should be easy enough to use up, except....

.... I appear to have FOUR bags of frozen spinach. Why I have no idea. I must have bought it for various recipes, but I can't even thing what.

Does anyone have any ideas for using it up? (Added complication that we are pretty much a dairy and egg free house because of DD2's allergies - I don't have eggs in the house at all, and cheese can be added after cooking only for DD1 and DH).

Help please!

sandgrown Sat 25-Oct-14 00:02:30

Add it to Indian style dishes? Make soup?

vvviola Sat 25-Oct-14 07:52:34

I don't think I could handle spinach soup....!

Although increasing my Indian style repertoire might be a good plan. And I could hide small bits in stews etc.

It's a lot of spinach!!

Allalonenow Sat 25-Oct-14 10:44:23

It's good added to fish pie if you make that.
Or serve as a vegetable with some cubed bacon scattered through it.
Or add it to any pasta sauce, or pasta bake, or use as a layer in lasagne.

mausmaus Sat 25-Oct-14 10:49:09

it's halloween so you can make a bony/slimy pasta dish with it.
finely chop the spinach and put in a pan. add a pack of soft cheese (dairylea or similar) gently warm up until cheese is melted and stringy. add a handful of cherry tomatoes. add still warm pasta (penne looks 'bony')

Blu Sat 25-Oct-14 10:57:13

Spinach and chick pea curry is nice
Saag aloo
Lamb and spinach curry
Make a tart with onions, mushrooms and spinach using ready made puff pastry ( many brand in the supermarket do. It use dairy )

MEgirl Thu 30-Oct-14 23:47:04

Green smoothies. Sound awful but actually tastes really nice with orange/apple juice, some berries etc.

FelixTitling Thu 30-Oct-14 23:54:59

I once ended up with a ridiculous amount of frozen spinach in the freezer. I just got rid of it by throwing a few blocks into pretty much everything I made. Think I even put it in gravy at one point.

MeganChips Fri 31-Oct-14 00:08:48

Spinach and Ricotta lasagne. Look at Delia's recipe but substitute fresh spinach for frozen.

It's divine and you need a lot of spinach! ,I've never made it for anyone who hasn't loved it.

ouryve Fri 31-Oct-14 00:11:12

Chuck it in curries and pasta dishes.

agoodbook Fri 31-Oct-14 18:30:15

Delias pancake cannelloni with spinach and 4 cheeses out of her winter collection- its lovely!

Pasta with siot cheese, shallots and spinach

agoodbook Fri 31-Oct-14 18:30:47

- soft, not siot cheese!

Slowdownsally Fri 31-Oct-14 18:32:52

Spanakopita - it's a spinach and feta pie in filo pastry. It uses a large amount of spinach, so perfect, and it's delicious

BrockAuLit Fri 31-Oct-14 18:35:14

Fry some ginger and garlic in vegetable oil, with a teaspoon of turmeric if you have it. You can add some chopped tomatoes if you like. Add a bag of spinach and cook out the water. Remove a portion for non-cheese-eating DD and add cubed paneer, cook for a few minutes until it's warmed through. Or, instead of paneer, add cubed, pre-boiled potatoes (or cube them up small and add them at the same time as the spinach; put a lid on and let the potatoes cook in the water released from the spinach. Take lid off to dry concoction out once the potatoes are cooked).

Alternatively, spinach and courgette rostis.

MrsCosmopilite Fri 31-Oct-14 18:43:08

I use it a lot. In almost everything. Veggie household and I'm almost dairy-free, but it gets chucked into pasta, pastry, stew, curry, soup...

HowlCapone Fri 31-Oct-14 18:43:37

I use it in things like pasta sauce. The children thought it was oregano until I confessed.

vvviola Fri 31-Oct-14 18:56:25

Ooh, lots of good ideas - thanks. Added some to a chicken pie the other day. DH and I thought it was delicious, DD1 picked out the "yucky big green bits" and DD2 refused to eat it but she's 3, so would probably eat a massive bowl tomorrow just to be contrary

HowlCapone that is inspired! I may have to use that idea here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now