Talk

Advanced search

What to do with pumpkin contents?

(20 Posts)
crushedblackpepper Wed 15-Oct-14 12:24:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nevergoogle Wed 15-Oct-14 12:35:14

my kids made pumpkin soup at school. they used the seeds to make necklaces and I still have mine hanging on the handle of a kitchen unit. any good?

Weelass83 Wed 15-Oct-14 12:35:39

I add the pumpkin flesh to lots of other veg (usually carrots, onion, garlic, leeks etc), then boil them all with some stock and make a soup. I add a dash of cumin or chilli pepper or something to spice it up a bit. I usually discard the seeds, but someone I know roasts them and eats them! x

Weelass83 Wed 15-Oct-14 12:38:16

And last year I even made pumpkin cupcakes, got the recipe from a magazine supplement. Everyone said how delicious they were, didn't taste like pumpkin! x

JubJubBirds Wed 15-Oct-14 12:41:13

Pumpkin cupcakes, what a good idea! <toddles off to find a recipe>

TheMagicToyshop Wed 15-Oct-14 13:04:25

Pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese icing (the kind you get on carrot cake) are amazing.

Last year I roasted the seeds and coated them with salt and chipotle chilli powder, they were addictive!

crushedblackpepper Wed 15-Oct-14 13:38:24

JamNan Wed 15-Oct-14 13:45:46

Roasted pumpkin seeds
Clean the seeds.
Boil for 10 minutes in salt water.
Drain the seeds in a colander and dry lightly with a paper towel or tea towel.
Spread seeds onto a baking sheet and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil about 1 tsp and some sea salt if you like.
Roast seeds at 325F for 10 minutes.
EAT!

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Wed 15-Oct-14 13:52:28

Love to roast the seeds in a low oven, as long as the pumpkin is fairly fresh. (We had one which was a bit gone off by the time we got around to carving it and so threw out all the contents!)

Leave the pumpkin juice on the seeds, it adds to the flavour

Weelass83 Wed 15-Oct-14 14:38:29

To make the flesh into a puree, just put it on a baking sheet in the oven for a while, or boil it in a pan with some water, then drain it. Then just mash it or blend it and voila! Pumpkin puree smile

ppeatfruit Thu 16-Oct-14 07:42:31

I 2nd roasting the seeds too ! The uncooked flesh is like softer carrots you just add it to a mix of fried onions and garlic, and cook gently for a short while. Use as a base for a soup or a mash or anything really, we love it!!!!!

If you put some of the seeds on your compost heap then you may get a surprise like we did last year; a whole very long curly vine grew out of our heap and it had 4 different types of pumpkins growing happily on it (they tasted lovely!).

StripyBanana Thu 16-Oct-14 07:44:40

Um. I thought the pumpkins sold for carving were the animal feed type.ie not ideal for eating!!theres often some (much smaller) pumpkins for eating in sainsburies.

fairyfuckwings Thu 16-Oct-14 07:49:40

Yes I thought the same stripy banana. I tried roasting mine last year and it was really tasteless and watery. I ended up binning it.

ppeatfruit Thu 16-Oct-14 08:35:38

Well Stripy and fairy We usually buy organic ones! There are a lot of different types and some are tasteless and watery even the organic ones. But usually all the dark orange ones are tasty.

moggle Thu 16-Oct-14 09:45:56

I never have any proper firm flesh leftover when I carve a pumpkin - just the seeds and the stringy bits that you scoop out of the middle. I assume the stringy bits are edible but taking them off the seeds is such a faff - I just do it in warm water and then chuck the stringy stuff away. Then I roast the seads after mixing a bit of oil, salt and paprika or chilli through them. If you want 'proper' pumpkin flesh for cooking I'd buy another one. Don't be tempted to use your carved one later on, obviously...

StripyBanana Thu 16-Oct-14 09:46:20

The large ones sold as carving pumpkins inthe (UK) supermarkets are the ones that people try to cook with and aren't really designed for it.

The edible ones are often much smaller, more expensive and in a different part of the shop!

ppeatfruit Thu 16-Oct-14 11:16:26

They're fab. cut in slices and gently fried (we even have them for christmas dinner!). Baked in slices with the other veg.

crushedblackpepper Thu 16-Oct-14 11:26:35

spilttheteaagain Thu 16-Oct-14 14:20:58

I tend to soup mine, but as others have said the carving pumpkins are usually a bit watery and lacking in taste so I would toss with s&p, chilli and oil and roast and then added to lots of sauted onion, celery, garlic and more chilli, bit of veg stock and blend. Can add some white beans if you want to make it more substantial and creamier. Its all about what you add to it really!

agoodbook Fri 17-Oct-14 20:26:50

Two things i do- simply roast large chunks with garlic salt and pepper , lovely as a side, and a totally wonderful risotto dish here
www.antonio-carluccio.com/Risotto_di_Zucca

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: