Talk

Advanced search

Need a recipe for white sauce/cheese sauce with no cows milk

(12 Posts)
wilbur Sun 21-Mar-04 11:24:23

Dd is still off cows milk although she is fine with goat/sheep milk and cheese. I want to make her some lasangne and other milky pasta sauces but don't know how to get around the butter (can't find goat's milk butter although I know it exists) in white sauce/cheese sauce. Can I make a roux (sp?) with olive oil? Any non-cows milk mumsnetters out there with a recipe?

harman Sun 21-Mar-04 11:31:08

Message withdrawn

Janh Sun 21-Mar-04 11:41:04

Could you use Olivio?

wilbur Sun 21-Mar-04 12:06:21

Last time I looked, Olivio still had buttermilk in it, not just olive oil. Might pop up to Waitrose on the Kings Rd and see if they have the goat butter.

Podmog Sun 21-Mar-04 12:16:31

Message withdrawn

wilbur Sun 21-Mar-04 13:51:24

podmog, what is PURE? Is it something like lard/vegetable fat? Do you use it in the same quantities as butter?

florenceuk Sun 21-Mar-04 20:37:13

Wilbur, I can't see why you can't make it with olive oil, thickening agent and goats milk. Try a small quantity first, but it should work.

Podmog Mon 22-Mar-04 08:16:36

Message withdrawn

wilbur Mon 22-Mar-04 08:25:19

Cool, thank you podmog and everyone. I will have an experiment later. Any loud cursing coming from S London this afternoon will be me putting my cheese sauce through a sieve.

papillon Mon 22-Mar-04 08:35:31

I make a roux with olive oil.

If you want to try and reduce the cheese as well - tahini - sesame paste is nice and makes for a nutty flavour.

Also brewers yeast (Nutritional yeast) is good replacement for the cheesy flavour (quasi-cheesey taste) . You are supposed to boil it though - takes out the nuturients. Add it at the end

but ...more than a few tablespoons a day of the stuff messes up the uric acid in your body and can lead to gall stones. So best not to overdose on the stuff

I like to add abit of good quality vege stock to the sauce as well.

By the time you add those flavours you really do not need any milk - water works too!

I do not really use recipes but hope these ideas might help you.

papillon Mon 22-Mar-04 08:36:26

that reads...you are not supposed to boil brewers yeast

papillon Mon 22-Mar-04 08:37:52

If you do not want to sieve the sauce - use corn flour (corn starch instead of flour) not so gluggy

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: