Talk

Advanced search

What salads to serve with shakshuka?

(10 Posts)
MissPlumBroughtALadder Tue 15-Apr-14 20:43:18

Having friends round for lunch this weekend and planning on serving shakshuka for the main dish. I usually use Ottolenghi's recipe so flavour-wise it has preserved lemon and thyme, and I add some smoked paprika.
I was thinking a green salad with a lemon juice dressing but I'd a,so like something with a bit of crunch/texture to it. Anyone want to inspire me?

JamNan Wed 16-Apr-14 08:48:02

shredded white cabbage?

lots of crusty bread to mop up the juices.

Slackgardener Wed 16-Apr-14 12:09:24

Crusty bread is all it needs.

WilsonFrickett Wed 16-Apr-14 19:45:20

I agree with slack - its too wet and hot to stand up to a salad, you want bread. Couscous at a pinch.

GalensOyster Wed 16-Apr-14 19:48:21

Turkish flatbread is good with it and some sliced crunchy fennel with an orangie balsamicie dressing.

MissPlumBroughtALadder Wed 16-Apr-14 19:51:44

Thanks everyone. Should have mentioned we're gluten free! I could do quinoa in place of cous cous.

GalensOyster Wed 16-Apr-14 20:24:51

Could try garlicky polenta fried with chillies?

Slackgardener Wed 16-Apr-14 22:28:59

Broccoli with a garlic and chilli dressing would be good....serve some bread to your guests. I try to go gluten free and I love shakshuka but I feel it needs bread, are you veggie as well as gluten free?

DoItTooJulia Wed 16-Apr-14 22:30:39

Quinoa tabbouleh, all the way! Yum!

MissPlumBroughtALadder Fri 18-Apr-14 12:21:18

Quinoa tabbouleh - perfect! Thanks for the inspiration smile
Slackgardener - yes, I am vegie and gluten free. And mainly dairy free too (breastfeeding a CMPI toddler). Luckily I love cooking! Shakshuka is one of our staples, and one of the reason I love the Ottolenghi version is that it's not too runny. I tend to cook it on the stovetop for quite a long time, so it's nice and thick and flavoursome. Yummmmmm.
Thanks everyone for suggestions - lots of flavours to play with.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »