Talk

Advanced search

Bulgar wheat

(4 Posts)
magpieC Sat 05-Apr-14 13:48:13

I've previously followed a Nigel Slater recipe which includes bulgar wheat and it's been grainy - a bit like couscous. Today I tried following the instructions on the packet (Tesco) which seen to be more water and it's come out rather sloppy - like a grainy semolina.

What is it supposed to be like and what can I do with a pan full of this "pap" like version which won't work for my lunch plans today?

Redpriestandmozart Sat 05-Apr-14 16:26:02

I use it to make tabouli, I rinse it in water a couple of times, place it in a small jug with water about 1 cm more than the bulgar and leave it for about an hour. When it is time to mix it through the salad all the water is absorbed and I feel it's just the right consistency. I don't know if this is the Slater method you have tried but I thinkl this is how it is supposed to be prepared.

magpieC Sat 05-Apr-14 18:25:18

Yes that's similar - as per NS I use a shorter time but leave it to stand. The instructions added loads more water and then simmered it to absorb all the water before leaving it to stand.

AwkwardSquad Sat 05-Apr-14 19:30:16

When I make tabouli, I soak the bulgar then squeeze as much of the water out as I can, using an old clean tea towel. No sloppiness that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now