Talk

Advanced search

How long to cook beef casserole?

(10 Posts)
DomesticSlobbess Thu 03-Apr-14 14:28:00

And what temp? (fan)

I have 400g of lean casserole steak. I have beef stock, carrots, garlic and a decent store cupboard of herbs etc. I want the beef to be soft and tender and the stock to be a thick, delicious gravy. But I'm a "follow a recipe" type cook but I had a beef casserole at a relative's house recently which was a bung-it-in, long and slow and it's ready when it's ready type casserole, and it was bloody delicious!

4merlyknownasSHD Thu 03-Apr-14 15:38:31

I would reckon a good couple of hours on the day you cook it, then let it cool, and refrigerate over-night (or even a coupe of days), then heat it up when you want to have it, giving it another 1.5 - 2 hrs. This gives the meat time to accumulate flavours from the other casserole ingredients and also allows the meat to relax as it cools down the first time.

mousmous Thu 03-Apr-14 15:47:19

I cook my goulash for 2 hours, then add a bunch of fresh veg and cook for another 20-30min.

Mrdarcyswife Thu 03-Apr-14 16:50:29

This is really delicious, and even if you don't follow it exactly you'll have an idea of cooking time and temp.

ShoeWhore Thu 03-Apr-14 16:54:11

I used a Nigella recipe featuring thyme, anchovies, ground mace, tomato puree and 2/3 of a bottle of red wine. She suggests 3 hours at 150C (having brought to a simmer first) I sometimes give it even longer. It definitely benefits from a day or two in the fridge after cooking as well.

DomesticSlobbess Thu 03-Apr-14 16:59:37

Thanks everyone. MrDarcyswife, that looks amazing!

I've put it in at 140 fan for 3 hours. It has an hour and a half left but it's still very watery... shall I take off the lid to let it reduce a bit?

storynanny Thu 03-Apr-14 17:03:35

I always put in a tin of chopped tomatoes as well. It tenderises the beef.

mousmous Thu 03-Apr-14 17:14:14

I use normal meat, not the lean stuff, gets more tender. dust the meat in flour the brown. tin of tomatoes, cup of (red) lentils, one diced onion. season to taste.

Molecule Thu 03-Apr-14 17:21:00

Once the meat is tender, remove it from the liquid and reduce the liquid on the hob till it is thick and glossy. This really concentrates the flavours - only just discovered this after 23 years of stew making, and it really improves the finished dish.

DomesticSlobbess Thu 03-Apr-14 18:27:42

Thanks Molecule.

I followed your advice and reduced the sauce on the hob after removing the meat. I didn't reduce it as much I would have liked but we were getting hungry! But it's a great tip and will defintely do the same the next time... or perhaps add less liquid to begin with!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now