Talk

Advanced search

So excited, bought a chest freezer!!

(7 Posts)
CbeebiesIsAboutToPop Wed 02-Apr-14 17:09:07

Went into my local furniture charity shop last week and there staring at me was a beautiful, perfectly sized chest freezer!! Its been on my most coveted list for such a long time I snapped it up. I've spent 2 days cleaning it and getting rid of smell but now its beautiful, turned on, and most importantly EMPTY!!

I've been trawling through old mumsnet threads to get ideas of meals to put in (I normally batch cook anyway but have a tiny little freezer so cant do much) and have a massive list to get started on.

But the thing I am most stumped on, and the things that cost most money on my weekly shop are deserts. So inspire me, what deserts can I cook and freeze?

I was thinking
Muffins
fruit pies
Cookie dough (there was a thread where a poster posted a recipe of a cookie dough you literally just sliced and baked from frozen, I'm gutted I cant find it so if you know of a good one please post below!)

but then I'm stumped. Any ideas for (healthyish) deserts or snacky foods for 2 toddlers 2 adults and a newborn.

CbeebiesIsAboutToPop Wed 02-Apr-14 19:39:20

Bump?

tb Wed 02-Apr-14 20:57:05

Bag of frozen raspberries - you can heat them up in a microwave and add to vanilla ice cream - eaten it as hot raspberry glacé in a restaurant.

If you can find them - local fruit farm - frozen blackcurrants are really good. Especially as the frozen ones don't normally have sugar in them.

Slackgardener Wed 02-Apr-14 20:57:16

I freeze cooked biscuits - it keeps them crunchy. Any biscuit recipe that forms a dough can be frozen, just form it into a sausage and wrap with cling film - they can be hard to cut when frozen though.
I also freeze the dcs lunch box treats which recently have been, gingerbread, chocolate brownies, bourbons, rocky road, sticky toffee cake, choc chip cookies. You can freeze tea scones, defrost and pop them in the oven for a couple of minutes. We freeze pitta bread sand English muffins - slice before freezing - both go straight from freezer to toaster.
I make sausage rolls and bake from frozen.
I bulk buy ginger, peel and ice cube it for curries. We freeze leftover wine - I know how can you but we have a strict no mid week drinking rule which stops us going crazy. I keep the carcus from jointed chickens and make stock every month - which also gets frozen.
My freezer is small, so I really keep on top of clearing it. Nothing in there more than 3 months old - danger is filling it and not using it all very quickly.

Clutterbugsmum Wed 02-Apr-14 21:31:29

I think the most important thing is to make sure your lable and date when putting things into the freezer. Also keep a list of what's in there and date so you don't end up with something left in the bottom years old.

CbeebiesIsAboutToPop Thu 03-Apr-14 10:10:47

That's a good idea clutter! I'll sort out some labels today.
I have a delivery coming later this afternoon and I'm very excited to cook and freeze smile

JamNan Thu 03-Apr-14 12:04:29

Packs of ready frozen peas and sweetcorn are very handy to have in the freezer and own brand is good value too.

Apples freeze well. Sliced bread freezes well and can be toasted from frozen. Mini pizzas. Rhubarb crumble. All pastry including Filo freezes well. I freeze fruit from the garden and make jam with it later when I have the time.
I also freeze oranges and citrus fruit for marmalade. I buy from the reduced counter or BOGOF and freeze. If it's a large piece of meat of fish I cut in half first and rewrap to make two meals from it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now