Talk

Advanced search

Canned fish inspiration?

(4 Posts)
Slackgardener Wed 02-Apr-14 10:24:42

I have uncovered a few cans of fish at the back of the cupboard, I bought them expecting to do something interesting with them but I'm a bit stuck, I've never eaten canned fished before - was veggie for 30 years! It's a bit stronger tasting than the fresh stuff, but I want to give it a good go.

So I have

sardine fillets in olive oil
Mackerel in olive oil
Tuna steak in olive oil
Anchovy fillets in extra virgin olive oil
Anchovy paste

What are your favourite recipes?

magimedi Wed 02-Apr-14 11:02:26

With the tuna, take some olive oil & heat it slowly with a clove (or more) of garlic crushed in it. Add the tuna (flake it up first) & some chilli flakes * finally some chopped parsley & serve as a sauce for spaghetti.

Much more than the sum of its parts.

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 02-Apr-14 11:59:00

I love tinned fish. smile

Fried onions with sardines - fry onions till desired degree of cookedness, add sardines, heat through and eat. I usually eat it with rice. Nice as sandwich too. Add chilli if you like. It's one of my favourite lunches. Better with sardines in tomato sauce but still nice.

Mackerel - mash up, add a bit of chopped up mushrooms and carrots and cook a bit with some miso paste and mirin. Serve with rice.

Tuna - sushi!

Anchovy - no idea ...

Jamdoughnutfiend Wed 02-Apr-14 12:10:57

Anchovy pasta with broccoli - sounds grim but it is a favourite dinner- takes 12 mins and is sooooo good

half pack of spaghetti
Chop head of broccoli into florets (or use the tender stem broccoli if you are feeling flush)
Crush 4 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of chilli flakes (adjust for personal preference)
2 x anchovies with oil

Boil spaghetti - chuck in broccoli 5 mins before spaghetti will be cooked
In pan splash of olive oil and gently fry garlic and chili flakes for few mins, add anchovies and oil and cook down to a paste consistency
When pasta and broccoli tender drain and add to paste
Stir thoroughly, with out pulverising broccoli
Add pepper, Parmesan and eat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now