Talk

Advanced search

quick and nice cod/white fish recipes?

(9 Posts)
Kveta Tue 01-Apr-14 16:32:48

I am not used to cooking fish, and have only recently started buying fillets rather than breadcrumbed fish to feed us! But my normal recipe is to sling it in the oven in a foil parcel with a bit of olive oil and lemon juice.

Does anyone have any simple cod (or other white fish - I'll try anything that can be got from the supermarket, as there are no fishmongers locally!) recipes they would care to share? thanks smile

pregnantpause Tue 01-Apr-14 20:49:21

Fry fillets skin side down in butter and crushed garlic, until.skin is crispy and fish white half way through (about four mins) flip the fish and continue to cook for another.3 mins or so until cooked through- serve with minted peas, broccoli and new potatoes, with the burnt garlic butter drizzled on top.. Not thrilling cooking but delicious.

White fish Fried with chorizo and sauteed potatoes is also a favourite.

I like cod in a broth- either a light vegetable stock, with peas, asparagus and broad beans, putting the fillet in to poach along with the veg, or a miso broth with garlic, ginger, mangetout, chilies and bak choi, again letting the fillet poach with the veg.

a fried or grilled fillet is lovely on top of butter beans fried with chopped bacon, thyme, and garlic, with a spoon of creme fraiche at the end to make a creamy consistency.

Slackgardener Tue 01-Apr-14 23:08:05

Love those ideas pregnant

I make a fresh tomato sauce, usually with cherry tomatoes, garlic and olive oil, bit of fresh basil or pesto mixed in if I have it. Will add a few capers for the adults until the dcs are feeling brave. Serve with pan fried fish - skin side down for 75% of the cooking - you should see the fish cooked at the side and quick flip over and your done - pour pan juices over fish.

Wrap in bacon and bake.

Roast some veg in oven with some thyme when nearly done chuck the fish on top and bake till cooked.

stonehairbrush Wed 02-Apr-14 00:35:35

I make a tomato sauce and cook the fish in it in a casserole on the hob

Garlic in olive oil.
Passata
Torn up preserved lemon
Black olives
Throw in white fish
Saffron if you have it
Anchovies if you have them
Bubble for 15 mins ish

Serve with couscous flavoured with lovely stuff and salad. This is a Jamie recipe. I think the salad was grated carrot with mint and orange segments.

Kveta Wed 02-Apr-14 18:21:03

Ooh thank you, these all sound delicious! Got some good ideas for my weekly shop now! Many thanks!

AskBasil Wed 02-Apr-14 18:25:15

Smear pesto all round fish, add lemon juice and wrap in foil with fresh tomatoes. Chuck it in the oven until it's ready.

Serve it in a leek and potato soup with a dollop of sour cream. Sounds wierd but it's a really good combination

Blithereens Wed 02-Apr-14 18:33:30

Put in baking tray with cherry toms on vine, chopped chorizo, ras-el-hanout and lime juice. Lovely.

sharond101 Fri 04-Apr-14 22:54:10

We spread pesto on top then sprinkle no breadcrumbs and seeds then bake.

mollysmummy1970 Fri 04-Apr-14 23:01:45

The hairy bikers do a nice baked fish in a chorizo crust....

http://www.hairybikers.com/recipes/baked-fish-with-chorizo-crust/1731

I love it, it's really really tasty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now