Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What is your quickest and easiest family meal?

(40 Posts)
Toowittoowoo Tue 01-Apr-14 15:51:25

One day a week DH needs to feed both DDs (1 year old and 4 year old) and himself within 30mins of coming through the door.

Although he is as good as me at both cooking and looking after the kids he is not very used to doing both at the same time with hardly any time and i can just imagine that the whole thing will become very stressful for everyone!

Unfortunately he needs to cook the 'main' meal of the day so I'd like it to involve some protein and be reasonably healthy. DH and DD1 are always very hungry so it needs to be quite substantial. All three are very slim (unlike me!) so it can be as calorific as they like!

I am already batch cooking for other days of the week and I'm just trying to avoid spending ALL weekend cooking food for the week.

All I can think of is fish fingers sandwiches with tomatoes and cucumber and tinned sweetcorn. Surely there is more quick family food out there?

(I have no room in the freezer for oven chips and DD1 will not eat omlete - annoyingly!!!)

What does everyone else do for quick quick meals?

UnionofMultitaskers Tue 01-Apr-14 15:54:55

I do pasta,peas and pesto with cheese sprinkled on top.

LyndaCartersBigPants Tue 01-Apr-14 15:55:50

Fish fingers beans and peas is my staple quick dinner. Lots of protein, plenty of carbs in the breadcrumbs and beans so no need for chips.

Otherwise pasta and tomato sauce/pesto with plenty of cheese.

Salmon that you can buy in those oven-ready bags with a herb butter in it. Boil some new potatoes and mange touts while its in the oven.

LyndaCartersBigPants Tue 01-Apr-14 15:56:53

In fact I usually buy the pouch of microwavable potatoes, so even easier, you don't even need to boil a kettle!

OwlCapone Tue 01-Apr-14 15:57:51

Today we are having spaghetti bolognaise which with take 15 minutes - I put the sauce part in the slow cooker this morning though. Which is kind of cheating.

Springing Tue 01-Apr-14 16:04:33

He can make homemade pesto in the time it takes the pasta to cook, and serve it with a tomato salad.

Or cook pasta, adding peas in the last five minutes, drain, add a little bit of butter, bit of cream (enough to make it nice and silky), chopped ham, seasoning and parmesan. My children LOVE this. Serve with a green salad and/or steamed broccoli and/or green beans.

Or teriyaki burgers - takes five minutes to make the burger mix, then you do them in the oven (15-20 mins). Super easy and delicious. Serve with veg and/or salad. If you want to do it without the teriyaki sauce, I'd serve them with some mashed potato and peas (for ease) or other green veg/salad.

Mini meatloaves and oven potatoes - takes about half an hour, most of it is the cooking time, really easy, delicious.

Or spaghetti with a simple tomato/basil sauce.

Beastofburden Tue 01-Apr-14 16:06:01

Stir fry.

Chicken, veg and noodles is good.

Blueberry234 Tue 01-Apr-14 16:06:34

Cook spaghetti and peas and drain
Microwave salmon fillets
Flake salmon and a little lemon zest
Add to spaghetti with great big dollop cream cheese and black pepper

Pasta and pesto with added ham/salmon
Prawn stir fry with lemon, ginger and garlic
Oven baked risotto

Springing Tue 01-Apr-14 16:09:01

Haven't tried this but looks nice and has good reviews - cheese crusted pork - and is quick.

Pinkje Tue 01-Apr-14 16:09:16

Pasta, tub of creme fraiche with tuna and grated cheese. It'll keep for you too when you get home....if there's any left. Mine prefer pasta tubes.

Pinkje Tue 01-Apr-14 16:10:04

Oh, don't forget the 7 portions of veg!!

Springing Tue 01-Apr-14 16:12:57

Actually, Martha Stewart has lots of ideas for quick and easy meals:

15 minutes or less

Dinner tonight - quick recipes

Jaynebxl Tue 01-Apr-14 16:13:55

Pasta egg and cheese. While pasta is cooking mix eggs and grated cheese. Half way through pasta cooking throw some frozen peas in. Wjen pasta is cooked drain it, then plop it back in the pan with the eggy cheese mix and cook while stirring for couple min. Eat.

CremeEggThief Tue 01-Apr-14 16:16:53

Wholemeal pasta with pesto from a jar, a squeeze of lemon or lime if you have it, black pepper and a little grated cheese. Add some veg, avocado, olives, hardboiled eggs or olives, if you like.

ThatBloodyWoman Tue 01-Apr-14 16:18:37

Popping into the chippy.

ThatBloodyWoman Tue 01-Apr-14 16:20:04

Seriously.buy pizza base, top, and cook.

RiverTam Tue 01-Apr-14 16:20:35

I would make up batches of pasta sauce and freeze them, and serve with lots of grated cheese. I make a sauce including onion, courgette, carrots, mushroom, peppers, celery and tomatoes.

RiverTam Tue 01-Apr-14 16:21:29

or, and my DH would love this, beans on toast, an excellent meal. He has salad with his, sometimes cheese as well, and DD might have random veg-that-she-likes on the side.

But nothing wrong with beans on toast once a week!

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Tue 01-Apr-14 16:22:13

I second stirfry or pasta.

Unless you have a slow cooker, in which case you can have all sorts of things ready and waiting for them when they get in.

ThatBloodyWoman Tue 01-Apr-14 16:23:34

Also omelette and veg/salad.

Falafels,coleslaw and pitta bread.

Lovecat Tue 01-Apr-14 16:25:56

Throw chicken thighs, chopped peppers/courgettes/onions/aubergines/tomatoes into a roasting tin, new potatoes or chopped chunks of butternut or sweet potatoes for carbs if desired, slosh in some olive oil and herbs of your choice (thyme & oregano), squeeze of lemon, dash of balsamic if you like it, season, toss, bake at 190ish for 30-40 mins, eat. Bloody lovely.

LaCerbiatta Tue 01-Apr-14 16:27:16

Turkey escalopes - pan fried with lemon, garlic and olive oil. Takes 5 mins to cook. We eat them with mash made with sweet potatoes and broccoli or left over rice or some pasta.

Super healthy and quick!

Jesuisunepapillon Tue 01-Apr-14 16:27:46

I love hard boiled eggs in pasta with pesto

Cauliflower cheese is very quick

Roasted veg with cheese

Fish fingers

Weegiemum Tue 01-Apr-14 16:29:18

Microwave-baked potatoes with cheese, beans, tuna and salad.

CointreauVersial Tue 01-Apr-14 16:36:27

Pack of cherry toms into an oven dish, add herbs, olive oil and a good slosh of balsamic vinegar.

Then lie a pack of sausages on the top and pop the dish into the oven (take the sausages out of the pack first wink). The sausages just need turning once, and the tomatoes all melt down into a yummy sauce. Dead simple, no stirring and poking needed. Serve with veggies.

Or sauté some chopped chicken breast, add a dollop of pesto, grated parmesan, and serve with pasta (for DCs) or salad (for grownups).

These are two things my DH can manage, and he is hopeless in the kitchen. I'm grin at the thought of him tackling a stir-fry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now