Talk

Advanced search

Egg Fried Rice?

(7 Posts)
TooOldForGlitter Tue 01-Apr-14 10:34:34

Looking for a recipe for egg fried rice, every single one I have come across so far is telling me to leave the rice to go cold before frying it. Have I missed something? I thought leaving rice to go cold and then re-heating was a no-no for food poisoning?? Enlighten me someone?

sausagefortea Tue 01-Apr-14 10:55:08

It's better to use cold rice as it sticks together less than fresh hot rice when you fry it. Leaving rice to cool down of its own accord is ok, but then it should be put in the fridge as soon as possible - just want to avoid leaving it out for hours on end in a warm atmosphere for food poisoning.

You can cool down rice pretty quickly just by laying it out on a baking sheet and shoving in the fridge for a bit.

However, I generally just use easy cook rice and the absorption method and my rice isn't all that sticky. So just use it hot. Actually....even if it is sticky I usually just lob it in grin. Only generally use cold rice if the rice is leftover or there's been an element of planning to my dinner (ie rare as hens teeth!)

TooOldForGlitter Tue 01-Apr-14 11:29:08

Thanks smile

WilsonFrickett Tue 01-Apr-14 12:46:04

Yep, I agree with sausage it's probably one of those things that's better with cold rice, but life is far, far too short to be cooking things in advance to cool them down to cook them.

I also tend to use the packets of pre-cooked rice because I still find rice impossible to cook, so I microwave those, then tip into the wok. Tastes fine smile

thenumberseven Tue 01-Apr-14 16:19:30

I make fried rice with frozen long grain rice.
I boil the rice, drain thoroughly and spread thinly on baking trays. Freeze and once rice is fully frozen put into a freezer bag. If there are some lumps of rice I hit the bag against the bench and this loosens the grains. Put back in freezer and just take the amount you need for recipe. You can also buy frozen rice.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 01-Apr-14 16:22:20

boil it and cool it quickly by running cold water through it in a sieve. Put it into the fridge until you need to use it. We normally use basmati rice.

keely79 Tue 01-Apr-14 16:28:08

Wouldn't worry too much - we use leftover rice from the previous day as long as was put in fridge quickly after cooking. It's how it's done in China and they seem to still be alive. Jasmine rice is best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now