Talk

Advanced search

Food you love to make but isn't cheap...

(52 Posts)
Snog Sun 30-Mar-14 16:07:28

Every so often I love to make Nigella's coq au reisling which requires a whole bottle of wine...what do you love to make that is pricey on ingredients?

MiaWallace Sun 30-Mar-14 16:10:37

Heston's pulled pork - It's gorgeous but has a million ingredients.
Nigella's chocolate fudge cake - again a million ingredients.

Snog Sun 30-Mar-14 16:23:02

I keep meaning to try making pulled pork.
Poussins are another fave of mine...a whole roast chicken to yoirself!!!

Snog Sun 30-Mar-14 17:40:19

bump

mrspremise Sun 30-Mar-14 18:34:53

I make coq au riesling and get the wine at lidl. I also do SiHo's boeuf a la Bourguinnone which uses a whole bottle of red. I love to cook with wine sometimes I even put it in the food grin

Snog Sun 30-Mar-14 19:21:08

how much is lidl reisling?

Sparklysilversequins Sun 30-Mar-14 19:24:13

Paella. It seriously costs about £40 if you want to make a decent one.

ProfondoRosso Sun 30-Mar-14 19:28:36

Baklava. I love making it, but a big bag of pistachios is pretty dear.

Slackgardener Sun 30-Mar-14 19:47:13

Chateaubriand with chips or a big thick rib eye.
Paella - especially if I have some homemade stock kicking around, this is our new love.
Lamb shawarma - Ottolenghi's
Scallops with pea purée and black pudding

Slackgardener Sun 30-Mar-14 19:48:04

Away to look up Heston's pulled pork. grin

Slackgardener Sun 30-Mar-14 19:50:56

Heston's pulled pork - this recipe? I have all those ingredients in my cupboard, please tell me it's the one!

LineRunner Sun 30-Mar-14 19:56:25

Pizzas. The dough is cheap but by the time I've faffed about with topping and mozzarella and spicey chicken and olives and artichokes and flipping pineapple I'm seriously quids down.

Taste great, mind.

Slackgardener Sun 30-Mar-14 19:59:38

I always thought pizza was cheaper to make at home, I often just put whatever is in the fridge on the pizza.

LineRunner Sun 30-Mar-14 20:05:49

I made the mistake of accepting bespoke orders from teenagers .....

Slackgardener Sun 30-Mar-14 20:14:03

Well I can see how that can result in a big bill. My dcs usually only want cheese and tomato, they say even pepperoni is too much of a distraction. I always want the Pizza Express classic of pine nuts, red onions raison and capers and dh is a hoover will will mop anything up from the fridge. Mind you pine nuts have become remarkably expensive but I always have them in the cupboard...so I tend not to think about it.

LineRunner Sun 30-Mar-14 20:40:38

The most expensive pizza I ever made was all fresh mozzarella, olives, capers, anchovies and basil leaves. I may as well have ordered in. grin

You are right, I should stick to cheese and tomato.

pregnantpause Sun 30-Mar-14 20:44:23

I don't know if it counts as I've never had enough money to make it, but I've always wanted to have a Sunday lunch /Christmas lunch with a rib of beef. I would follow the hairy bikers recipe from their Christmas book. I'll never be able to afford it though.

I once made a herb crusted rack of lamb, which was lovely, but have made it only once because of the cost. (though it was half what I would have paid in a restaurant, and was ridiculously easy- their ripping us offshock !)

I also love Hugh fearnly fish pie- but with king prawns, salmon, smoked haddock- all fresh, it's about three quid per head- for a fish pie! It's lovely and would be my 'signature' fish pie, but not at 3 quid a head! Fish pie should be peasant food!

Slackgardener Sun 30-Mar-14 21:43:41

We did roast rib last Christmas - it was good but there was too much and leftovers are a bit of a waste for such an expensive cut.

lessonsintightropes Sun 30-Mar-14 21:51:29

Most expensive dinner party I did was parmesan cheese and fig and parma ham baskets, a massive organic leg of Duchy Estate lamb and (cheaply thank god) homemade creme caramel. The lamb alone was about £50 and the starters are obscenely expensive but delicious and a very fussy/nice way of showing you've gone to trouble.

It was lovely though!

lessonsintightropes Sun 30-Mar-14 21:51:53

I agree fish pie is much more expensive than you'd expect too.

Bunbaker Sun 30-Mar-14 21:56:13

Roast lamb. Lamb is so expensive these days and I love it.

shock at the poster who puts pineapple on pizza.

And £40 for paella! What costs so much?

We don't care for seafood so I never use it in paella.

LineRunner Sun 30-Mar-14 21:59:13

Crikey, Bun, have you never had a Hawaiian pizza? Can't say I'm a fan but one of the teens loves it.

mousmous Sun 30-Mar-14 22:03:35

beef olives.

Bunbaker Sun 30-Mar-14 22:04:07

I have, but I wouldn't now. I am a bit old fashioned about my food and prefer my pizzas to have traditional Italian ingredients on, so no Hawaiian pizza, no chicken tikka and nothing else that an Italian wouldn't eat.

Slackgardener Sun 30-Mar-14 22:05:27

Pineapple on pizza is a classic! I used to love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now