Talk

Advanced search

Very easy French Onion Soup?

(15 Posts)
KatyMac Sat 29-Mar-14 12:17:29

I'm feeling very poorly & I want to make FO soup

I can't buy it as it always has dairy in it

So how about I fry onions, add a beef stock cube (well actually one of those knorr stock oval jellys) - would that make FO soup?

Catsmamma Sat 29-Mar-14 12:23:15

that would be near enough I'd say....make sure the onions are all sweated and soft and golden.

unless you have someone to send out for a tin of beef consommé, the beef stock should be fine.

KatyMac Sat 29-Mar-14 12:25:32

The recipes on-line want to add alcohol

I wonder what I could replace with (or do I even need to?)

Catsmamma Sat 29-Mar-14 12:29:23

...i never bother with alcohol... well not unless there is a splash of red wine to use up as if

chop millions of onions, melt a tonne of butter (or oil if you are anti- dairy) spend hours poking onions about.

eat some straight from pan and burn mouth

cook off a bit of flour with the onions, and then add stock.

Make giant cheesey croutons and soak them in the soup :D

KatyMac Sat 29-Mar-14 12:31:12

No flour no cheese no garlic

It's going to be a bit bland isn't it sad

KatyMac Sat 29-Mar-14 12:35:06

For goodness sakes - I am going to get up, start some onions & then wash my hair while they are cooking

The soup will be lovely & I will eat it

Silly

KatyMac Sat 29-Mar-14 13:06:42

Hair washed, onions cooking added mustard & gluten free soy sauce

I'll take a pain killer now so I can eat it in about 30 minutes

Giraffeski Sat 29-Mar-14 13:12:11

I thought you were off onions Katymac?
Hope you're getting on ok with the new diet.
This has made me want FO soup now too!

Giraffeski Sat 29-Mar-14 13:12:46

You could always add Doves Farm flour?

KatyMac Sat 29-Mar-14 13:16:20

I am off onions - but a week of not eating combined with co-codamol has made the eating of onions somewhat essential iyswim

I know milk/eggs/coconut/almonds actually cause sores but onions are just a avoid if you want solid poo (TMI sorry!) food - so I'm going to risk it

I'm probably being stupid - but I'm desparate

Bunbaker Sat 29-Mar-14 13:18:36

The key to a really good, well flavoured French onion soup is to sweat the onions for a long time over a slow heat. They need at least 30 minutes before you add the stock. And believe me it makes a huge difference. You cannot make FO soup quickly.

You don't need mustard or soy sauce, just butter, onions and beef stock. Some people add a pinch of sugar to sweeten the onions and a bit of flour to thicken the soup.

KatyMac Sat 29-Mar-14 13:26:40

It's lovely - I just need to wait for my painkillers to hit then I am stuffing my face with homemade french onion soup & GF ciabatta rolls

Yum!

NightCircus Sat 29-Mar-14 21:53:29

I like to add a bit of thyme

somedizzywhore1804 Sat 29-Mar-14 21:56:49

I always make it by sweating the onions with garlic over a low heat with a teaspoon of brown sugar for about 30 mins. Then add beef stock and bring to the boil and then simmer for about two hours.

KatyMac Sat 29-Mar-14 22:01:02

It was great

I have another portion for lunch tomorrow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now