Talk

Advanced search

Inspire me re packed lunches?

(8 Posts)
myothernameiswashingherhair Sat 29-Mar-14 09:08:56

EVery single day for the past hmmm 6mths? I have had turkey and edam on 50/50 bread with some dressing. Every day. Safe to say I am bored with it.

What else can I have? I don't really like sandwiches I don't think and don't do fish in any form - I also need some snack ideas - I sometimes take fruit like blueberries and cherry tomatoes but thought maybe healhy muffins?

TYIA

MichonnesSamuraiSword Sat 29-Mar-14 15:55:28

God I HATE making my packed lunch, and get utterly bored of it too.

I really like wraps instead of sandwiches for a bit of a change. I get the garlic & herb flatbread wraps from Tescos - and fill with lettuce, cheese, chutney/mayo - whatever you fancy. Roll up, and away you go.

You could try homous, cream cheese or cottage cheese for a bit of variety.

I also tend to make extra pasta for dinner so that I can re-heat it for lunch, same with cous-cous salad (cous cous with peppers, celery, beans mixed in). Nice with a boiled egg chopped into it too.

Do you have a microwave and / or kettle at work? I like taking soup in, which I can dip some chunky bread into.

I'm crap at baking, but would love to know how to make healthy muffins, so I hope someone else comes along soon!

CheerfulYank Sat 29-Mar-14 17:33:54

Hmmm...DS likes cut up ham and cheese with crackers and a little pot of hummus.

Flask of soup with some crusty bread and a salad?

CharlotteCollins Sat 29-Mar-14 19:44:21

Sandwich fillings:
Marmite - with butter, not margarine. It tastes miles better with butter!
Cream cheese and smoked salmon (oh, wait, does that count as fish? grin)
Brie and chutney
Hummus with sliced cucumber
Jam - my fallback filling when I have no money and an empty fridge!

And vary the bread! I have a chest freezer which I love, so I buy whatever's on offer and bung it in.

Snacks:
Olives
Oatcakes - if you can get those fruit and spice ones or dark choc chip so much the better
Small pot of nuts
Greek yoghurt and honey
Hot cross bun, cold obviously. With real butter, again. Because butter is the one luxury I won't do without!

Dilidali Sat 29-Mar-14 19:56:45

Couscous in which you chop whatever's in the fridge. Same with quinoa or rice.

What I mainly do is have for lunch whatever I cooked the night before (or two days previously or some time ago and it's been in the freezer) for dinner.
Soup in a cup.
Salad with... everything! Croutons or pitta bread in the said salad are a must.
Noodles with miso soup.

myothernameiswashingherhair Sun 30-Mar-14 11:11:03

Ooh thank you for suggestions. Am going to make some cous cous today a d chuck some bits in, see how we get on grin

LineRunner Sun 30-Mar-14 23:04:39

I actually like cheese and crackers - Just cheddar or cottage cheese, with cream crackers or ryveta is good. Maybe with slices of cucumber and tomato.

Sandwiches are better with interesting bread, and try pickles, chutneys and onion to brighten up cheese, ham, turkey etc.

It's quick and you can do it the night before, thank God. I am not great in the morning...

Middleagedmotheroftwo Sun 30-Mar-14 23:11:49

The new square wraps are great, as are Warburtons square thins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now