Talk

Advanced search

Quick and easy meals needed please

(9 Posts)
Grockle Thu 27-Mar-14 20:00:55

I am unable to cook proper meals very often but want to try to have more nutritious meal. I have chronic health condition that makes cooking hard for me.

Mainly veggie, don't eat poultry, occasionally eat mince/ sausages but not often. Don't eat fish other than tinned tuna.

Have been relying on:

Pasta or gnocchi & sauce (with veg thrown in)
Lasagne (& salad)
Spag bol
Bangers & mash
Mac & cheese
Casserole
pizza
Shepherd's pie
kids food - veggie chicken nuggets/ quorn hotdogs/ burgers & chips

What else can I do that's easy & that the kids will eat?

Catnuzzle Thu 27-Mar-14 20:20:28

Quiche? You can get the pastry base ready made and then fill with whatever takes your fancy. I usually do steamed mashed broccoli so it looks like herbs cheese and fried onion, a couple of eggs, splash of milk and seasoning. Yum.

Grockle Thu 27-Mar-14 20:25:23

That would be fab actually - we have hens so loads of eggs. Mashed broccoli trick is a good one - I'll def do that! thank you

afromom Thu 27-Mar-14 20:37:01

-How about quorn 'chicken' pieces with noodles, veg and soy sauce.
-quorn mince chilli and rice
-quorn sausages with couscous, drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice, chopped onion, pepper, tomato and cucumber.
-jacket potatoes with cheese and beans
-soup with nice fresh bread

sharond101 Thu 27-Mar-14 21:51:27

Quesadillas
pitta pizzas
veggie fajitas
baked potato and beans
cheese and bean omelette
chicken topped with red pesto then breadcrumbs

Judez99 Thu 27-Mar-14 23:09:49

You say you eat sausages sometimes - you could try BBC Goodfood's Herby sausage/bean stew: brown a pack of chipolatas in a pan, add 2 tins of mixed beans, a tin of tomatoes, some herbs, bring to boil and simmer for 15-20 mins till chipolatas are done - they cook very quickly so might not even take that long.

It's incredibly easy, no chopping anything not even an onion, healthy and tastes yum. Even my (often hard to please) 3yo DS loves it.

Catnuzzle Fri 28-Mar-14 05:38:43

Do they like pesto? If so, halved cherry tomatoes, sliced courgettes, quartered mushrooms and par boiled new potatoes all mixed up with a jar of pesto baked in the oven for an hour covered in foil the for half an hour uncovered. I usually put grated cheese on top as well and you can experiment with different veg and put sausages in as well.
Cheese and broccoli souffle is another..

singaporeswing Fri 28-Mar-14 06:17:00

Frittata - can use various toppings and easy to finish off under grill.

I use a lot of puff pastry, cut into one long rectangle, or smaller portions and add various toppings, stick it in the oven and it's done really quickly. Also great cold.

JamNan Fri 28-Mar-14 10:19:30

toad in the hole
buckwheat pancakes (savoury) with ham and cheese
oven roasted veg with bulghur
Mexican refried beans with fried egg and tomato salsa in a tortilla
cheese and potato pie
aubergine Parmigiana
oven roasted sweet potato with lime and yoghurt, quourn chilli
veg soups
porridge and fruit salad
stir fry with noodles
Salad Niçoise (use up your eggs)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now