Talk

Advanced search

Mexican / vegetable rice - any tips on a cheats recipe?

(7 Posts)
JustTryEverything Thu 27-Mar-14 19:03:03

My rice is dull, dull, dull! As such, I don't usually like it and go for pasta / potato dishes instead. However, I am keen for tips on how to jazz it up and also make it more of a meal with veggies in it.

I was inspired by enchiladas and thinking, hmmm, some kind of flavoured rice with onions and peppers would go nicely here but no idea where to start - can I bung the veg in with rice and water to cook (worried that would still be bland..) or add seasoning of some sort to the water.... Or just fry off veg then fry all together with seasonings (which ones?!) once rice is cooked

Totally clueless and looking for inspiration please!

ihatethecold Thu 27-Mar-14 19:13:31

We have jazzy rice.
Cook your rice with half a stock block, I use the knorr jelly ones.
Get a jar of roasted peppers, aldi do these very cheaply.
Chop up a pepper and add to the rice once cooked.
Finally add some balsamic vinegar,
Mix with a fork.

It's yummy.

JustTryEverything Thu 27-Mar-14 19:15:30

Ooh yes, jarred peppers, good idea! I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Bananapud Thu 27-Mar-14 19:21:01

This is really tasty Mexican bean pot. I serve with grated cheese in addition to the lime and creme fraiche.

Lattetogo Thu 27-Mar-14 20:33:07

I fry onions and add some tinned sweet corn & peas and mix it all up with cooked rice. Season with salt, pepper and your choice of spices (we like Mexican spices). You could add other veg such as capsicums or whatever you like to the mix.

Onykahonie Thu 27-Mar-14 20:40:33

This is my version of Uncle Ben's Mexican rice with beans. Much cheaper (for the quantity) but just as tasty!

Grumbliest Sat 29-Mar-14 08:14:00

I add a chopped onion, potato and use frozen veg(with green beans, carrots, sweet corn and peas) to some oil with cumin seeds, add uncooked rice, then add water and then I throw in red chilli, salt, coriander powder and garam masala and give it a stir and then bring to boil with lid on and then turn heat down and keep lid ajar until done, give it a bit of stir in between

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now