Talk

Advanced search

Tell me what to do with a whole fillet of beef

(10 Posts)
PTFswife Thu 27-Mar-14 17:57:49

I am having a dinner party this weekend. I have a whole fillet of beef that I want to use as the main. I was toying with the idea of boeuf en croute but don't really feel like it.

I am thinking along the lines of roasting it whole (possibly marinating it in something first - if so what??) and then slicing it thinly and serving it with horse radish or chimichurri sauce. But I would love some other suggestions. When you have such a nice piece of meat you don't want to mess it up. I also don't want to be rushing like a loon at the last minute trying to cook individual steaks.

Help!

AlpacaLypse Thu 27-Mar-14 18:01:52

Whatever you do, don't let one of my sisters do the roasting. She treated it as though it was topside and gave it 20 minutes a pound plus twenty minutes.

It tasted like leather and I nearly cried.

BIWI Thu 27-Mar-14 18:07:30

This is a fabulous (and really easy) recipe

Roseformeplease Thu 27-Mar-14 18:08:27

Invite me!!!

Shimmyshimmy Thu 27-Mar-14 18:09:08

We had a chateaubriand couple of months ago, I oiled it, generous rubbing of Maldon and fried it. Developed a really good crust on the outside and just warm in the middle, fortunately we all all raw meat...served it with homemade chips, I don't think fillet can take big flavours, serve sauces on side...dh just likes Dijon.
Don't know what I'd do for a dinner party....I'm pretty conservative when it comes to steak, I'd be tempted to eat the fillet myself for fear one of my guests would want it over cooked...I'd be in a grump all evening.

PTFswife Thu 27-Mar-14 18:15:25

It'll be rare here too. Thanks for the link BIWI. Do you think the fillet can rest for a while without getting cold?

LilllyLovesLife Thu 27-Mar-14 18:18:36

The best thing we have ever done with one is make a Wellington. Was absolutly gorgeous and the best meal I have ever had. DH made it a few years ago so I can't take the credit. Took him hours but haven't had a better meal since.

minipie Thu 27-Mar-14 18:29:47

I'd probably pan sear it on all sides in a really hot pan (ideally cast iron) - easier to avoid overcooking that way than with roasting. But then I am a bit lax about timings...

slice thinly and yes horseradish dressing drizzled over sounds good. Or make whatever it is the Italians put on carpaccio, I think it's some kind of mustard based dressing.

An interesting salad and home made chips would be ideal. Or saute potatoes if you don't have a deep fat fryer.

Shimmyshimmy Thu 27-Mar-14 18:50:31

If you're worries about it getting cold then rest it in a heated plate cover with foil and then tea towels. I don't think it needs to be piping hot anyway.

BIWI Thu 27-Mar-14 19:03:45

How long were you thinking of resting it for? I'm always wary of overcooking fillet, as I love it rare, but the danger of leaving it for too long is that it continues to cook

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now